Band saw problem - any suggestions please?

I have a Rexon 10" band saw (1996, BS-10R) which has always had the following problem but I decided to re-set it up and try to solve it, currently to no avail.

When I cut a piece of wood, say thin ply (but anything really) the cut 'wanders' to the left as you look at the blade. I use the cutting guide and hold the wood very tightly and the blade forces itself to the left giving a less than 90 degree curved cut. If the wood is thick and I keep a tight hold the pushing of the blade to the left will eventually stall the motor. I still have the instructions and again today followed them to the letter but still the problem persists.

Anyone seen this problem with a band saw and know how to solve it?

Is this common with band saws?

Thanks.

Reply to
ashnook

Got this problem with mine at the moment.

Cause: my own stupidty in letting something unsuitable contact the teeth while cutting. Result blunt / wrongly set teeth on one side of the blade.

Solution: new blade.

Bill

Reply to
bill

Ah! Will try that. Perhaps it's bin my fault all the time! What did you do to blunt the blade?

Reply to
ashnook

Same problem with mine, years ago. Tried everything [almost] I'd cut some ali sheet on it [too idle to move some gear to get at my metal cutting bandsaw]...result? 1 totally bolloxed blade. Then to cap it all I could not get replacements and had to have some specially made in Sheffield. Expensive lesson, but, I found a good source of cheap blades of every description possible and did a bulk purchase. In desperation I even considerd machining some new guides for the blade, then a Fitter put me straight!!

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

Almost all bandsaw problems are caused by one of two things, with the first being the most frequent:

1) A bad blade. A good bandsaw blade, I'd recommend a 6 TPI SKIP blade and 1/4 or 3/8 inch for a beginner, has the teeth set evenly left and right. Almost all new bandsaws used to be shipped with a crap blade, and all craftsmen knew what to do with them - this even for good makes. Buy yourself a good blade. 2) Tension Adjustment. There are a lot of adjustments on a bandsaw, but the most important to get right is the blade tension - it needs to be tighter than you think. And to save the blade, and the tyres on the wheels, release the tenson when you're done.

The other adjustments only really matter in a rough sort of way if these two are wrong. Anyone who can use a bandsaw can get the guides set 'good enough'.

R.

Reply to
Richard A Downing

Just ordered some new blades from screwfix... thanks for the pointers

Reply to
ashnook

You've touched the blade with something hard on one side, or it was poorly sharpened in the first place.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Thanks all. The new blade solved the problem. Now thrown away all the old ones.

Reply to
ashnook