Ballest for aquarium lighting.

In need a electronic ballest to hook up to a aquarium flourecent tube (2x25w) any idea where I can order one from?

did a quick google but not sure exactly what I should be looking up?

Reply to
cliveP

Aquatic shops have them, complete with end caps and leads.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

Was hopeing for more of a DIY solution. I already have a wound balast fitted in the hood which I want to take out and replace, therefore a "balast by itself" that I can wire in, is preferable to something that comes as a kit with end caps etc.

Reply to
cliveP

TLC Do them on their own:

looking at the prices, you may be better off buying the complete fitting and scavenging the ballast from it!

Reply to
John Rumm

> But looking at the prices, you may be better off buying the complete

I think you might be right.

I can get a Hagen Glomat Double (30w) - drive up to two 30w tubes for £20.99 from

and cut the fittings off!

Reply to
cliveP

In message , cliveP writes

You missed the bit about end caps and leads. Have you thought about the fact that your tube's in close proximity to (heated) water and in a very humid environment, to say nothing about splashes

You need more than a ballast, you need a starter as well, which being a typically short life item, will require replacing from time to time, as will the tube (normally on an annual basis)

You can buy ballast units from most electrical wholesalers, CPC, RS etc, but to be honest, for all the messing about involved, you're better off getting a proper unit

Reply to
raden

The current set up already have waterproofed endcaps in the tank fitted into the hood.

This is the plan. Gone from a new ballast to rebuilding the entire hood and addeding an extra tube!

Like most DIY jobs this one started small and is growing!!!

Reply to
cliveP

For 2 tubes you'd need 2 starters. Be aware that fl control gear can kick out upto 1000 volts during startup, or in case of bad connections, so dont get careless.

Presumably you'll be using grolux tubes rather than white?

NT

Reply to
N. Thornton