Ball valve isn't what I thought

I've always thought of a ball valve as being what used to be called a

ballcock. That is, a valve controlled by a float in a cistern or whatev er.

I've just come to translate "válvula de bola" and going from the S panish wiki page to the English version, it shows an inline tap and calls it a ball valve.

Have I really been wrong all these years? Or is Wiki wrong?

Reply to
Paul

Just checked OED and it backs me up.

Reply to
Paul

Before you get all OCD about this,

Richard

I wouldn't say the valve that a ballcock controls is a ball valve, the ones I've disassembled are piston valves.

Ball valves are just that; a sphere with a hole drilled through it, which can rotate so the hole lines up (or doesn't) with the inlet/outlet.

Reply to
Andy Burns

OMG! Wickes is as bad as me!

Reply to
Paul

The correct term for the thing in your cistern is float valve.

?p=Float+Vlave&fr=yhs-adk-adk_sbnt&hspart=adk&hsimp=yhs-adk_sbnt

Reply to
harry

You are confusing ballcock and ball valve - different things.

I suspect people use ball valve often enough for a ballcock (aka float valve), that you are not wrong - but not right either!

Reply to
John Rumm