Balancing a ceiling fan

Damnit, I tried little washers taped to all the blades in all different places, and all I've managed is to halve the wobble.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Damnit, I tried little washers taped to all the blades in all different places, and all I've managed is to halve the wobble.

Google is your friend if you can be bothered

Nthkentman

That's what I just did. It appears impossible to make it perfectly balanced. Maybe I need more patience and more than one weight.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Glue a parrot to the second blade...

Reply to
John Rumm

Hmmmm..... then I wouldn't have to pay for the electricity for the fan. Would the motor work in reverse to generate power?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Hang yourself from it :)

Reply to
Mentalguy2k8

What about one of my cats?

Gefreiter Krueger

Reply to
Mr Pounder

"Gefreiter Krueger" wrote in news: snipped-for-privacy@red.lan:

Perhaps the weight is the wrong weight? Perhaps one blade has a slightly different twist?

Reply to
DerbyBorn

I used a 4 gram washer and moved it gradually outwards on one blade until there was no further reduction in wobble.

The blades are not identical - if I measure the distance from each to the ceiling, they vary by as much as a cm. Is adding weights not sufficient to balance it? It's what they do on car wheels.....

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

Yeah but, car wheels don't have blades generating thrust. If one blade is generating more thrust than the others balancing won't fix it.

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

Should they not be balanced as made if you put them together correctly? Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Surely the extra thrust just throws it off balance, so you can throw it off balance equally the other way by whatever means you like, eg a weight.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

From what I've read, the blades can warp.

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

I suspect car wheels do in fact generate quite some thrust - at least the ones with various openings.

Ceiling fans, a least the ones we have, came with balancing "kit" and instructions. Not going into loft to find them...

Reply to
polygonum

my bedroom celing fan has clear perspex blades, hence not really good to add weights to balance the blades.... instead it's balanced by placing or removing washers between the joint between the hub and blades, the blades are connected by 3 bolts, so you can move the tip of the blade up and down using the inner centre bolt, or tilt the blade edge using the outer bolts.

bit of a fanny about THB,

Reply to
Gazz

How smooth is your fan? Is there any noticeable wobble of the centre section when on full speed?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

You have statically balanced it. Now you need to dynamically balance it. ie, the blades all have to have exactly the same amount of "twist". If one has diffent twist it will be unbalanced statically.

Reply to
harryagain

So I just make sure the angle of the end of each blade is the same? Or the angle of the side of each blade?

Reply to
Gefreiter Krueger

The first thing to do is measure the distance from the tip of each blade to a point on the ceiling and bend to adjust , then do your weight thing.

Reply to
F Murtz