BAL ready mix adhesive shelf life?

Hi,

I have some fairly full tubs of BAL Greenstar with a manufacturing date of March 2009.

The data sheet says shelf life 12 months under normal conditions.

Anyone reckon it would be unwise to use it over the next month or so? It's been kept indoors, frost free.

Cheers

Tim

Reply to
Tim Watts

Is this BAL powder or paste ? .......... if powder, as long as it has been kept dry it should be no problem. If a paste as long as still soft go ahead and use it

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Hi Rick,

Ready mixed paste. OK - simple as that? Good - it's fine then :) Did wondered if the magic voodoo fairy comes along later and makes your tiles fall off if you use it one day after the date!!

I wonder why they have these odd shelf lives that always seem to be convenient periods like "12 months". I'm using PU wood glue that getting on for 15 months into its 12 month lifespan and it's fine too.

Reply to
Tim Watts

With the powder (cement based), the cement slowly sets my itself, so the longer you keep it, the less proportion of active cement there is left in the mixture (and it might be very unevenly distributed in the bag). The bonding agent (glue part) should still work, but I would guess the adhesive is not as strong, and in particular, not as resistant to water (cement makes various bonding agents waterproof which otherwise aren't).

No idea about ready mixed - never used it myself and I don't know how it works.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I think for most products (with the obvious exception of plaster and Portland cement)the shelf life is just a guide and probably somewhat arbitrary. On balance, it's probably actually used more for stock rotation than by end-users.

Dave Osborne

Lasts almost indefinitely if you slap a bin liner on top of the adhesive and shut the lid properly, the latter being easier if you haven't got gunk all over the top edge of the tub

Reply to
stuart noble