Back up generator auto switching

Having "acquired a self start 20KVA 3 phase generator I was having thoughts of running the bungalow mains off one phase in case of power outage (commoner than I expected here in the sticks, we lost some rare eggs that were hatching TWICE this year,,,). Does anyone have links to how an auto start and switching arrangement could be contructed? I assume I can isolate the boards electric input on "our" side of the boards fuse and meter, and have a switching arrangement to bring on the gennie. Needs careful failsafe handling, any ideas? Thanks
--
Best Regards,
Chris.
Chris Wilson wrote:

That's the way to go. I would just switch the house supply so you can choose which main to use, the generator or your electricity board, that's the safest and most bomb-proof solution. It'll mean a manual changeover in the house, rather than an automatic one. That's the arrangment we have, it works fine.
Try to evenly load the demand for each of the three phases though.
Just keep the governor on the generator serviced - With an unexpected 550V output I managed to melt every transformer in our house last winter when ours failed. Baby alarms, phone chargers, even the microwave - all kaput! Still, it was an education to see just how bright a 60w bulb can go before it gives up the ghost!
Andy
On Mon, 1 Sep 2003 22:59:42 +0100, Chris Wilson wrote:

Depending on how much load you put on that single phase the alternator may start to object to being out of balance electrically. Remember that that 20KVA is almost certainly across all three phases so each one is probably only 6KVA...

Does this "aquired" gene come with any switch gear? It may already have the required bits, though things that are "aquired" are generaly old, (beyond commercial economic repair) and thus using said switch gear might not be a good idea. B-)
--
Cheers snipped-for-privacy@howhill.com
Dave. pam is missing e-mail

If it's been 'acquired' then generally the attached lights going red-red/amber-green-amber-red are a dead giveaway during a power cut....

If it's been 'acquired' then generally the attached lights going red-red/amber-green-amber-red are a dead giveaway during a power cut....
On 1 Sep 2003 21:52:13 -0700, Conrad Edwards wrote:

just up the road the gennies in them are just single cylinder diesel plunkers might be 2KVA or there abouts.