Back up generator

We get fairly frequent power cuts here, I have been considering getting a small generator, just sufficient to power the central heating & hot water combi boiler, maybe also the TV.

2 questions, are there any particular models that are better than others? Secondly how do I connect it? My power enters to the garage, through a consumer box into another consumer box for the garage and a cable to the house and then another consumer box. Also what happens when the mains comes back on?
Reply to
Broadback

How long do the power cuts last? Will a UPS or two be better?

Reply to
dennis

Google groups is your friend. This has been dicussed in the past and at length. The simplest and probably the safest method is to run an extension cable to the appliances that need power and plug them in. Your CH/HW system will probably need to have a plug/socket fitted into it's power feed for this.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I use an inverter and spare car battery for this - although not the TV. It will run my central heating all day - and without noise. I'd be cautious about running electronics off a cheap generator.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Can you post details of the Invertor you use ? Make and Model Where to buy How much

Thanks Andy

Reply to
ac1951