Back to the wall toilet

I am about to install a back to the wall toilet, not wall hung but one of those type where the pan hides all the plumbing. If installing a 'normal' WC I would fit it all and plumb up to the cistern connectors. Has anybody here installed one of these thing and if so how? My main concern is if any of the joints (mains and soil) leak slightly, as the WC pan body will cover the joints up so I cannot check after installation. Also the pan body will cover the existing service valve so that in order to do any washer replacement etc. in the future the whole house main supply will need to be turned off. Is this not against regs, as I thought all new installations had to have service valves.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

I have and I'm not really sure I follow. The pipework etc goes in the "wall" at the back of the WC and that's where your cistern will be and the join to the stack if a horizontal outlet.

Reply to
adder1969

Thanks, the 'problem' I have is that the wall behind the toilet is an actual wall not a plasterboard box and the feed pipe comes vertically through the floor. The soil pipe goes horizontally through the house wall. The inlet connection for the cistern will be hidden by the body of the WC pan I cannot think of a guaranteed way of getting everything together and leak proof.

This is the suite I am installing and the inlet is on the other side but the pan body is the same on both sides.

John

Forget the glossy pics ,they are normally installed with a panel in two halves so that access to the soil and flush connections can be made,or they have access from the other side of the wall.

Reply to
Alex

> Cheers

This is not was is normally called a back to the wall toilet - they have concealed cisterns.

I've fitted similar ones - basically the cistern connection is done using a flexi tail, with a valve if you like (that way if necessary you can shuffle the whole thing a couple of inches out and isolate the supply, although turning off the house supply would be easier)

The pan connection comes down to exact positioning and firm fixing of the soil pipe. The ones I've down have had a 90 degree connector to go down through the floor, but the principle is the same. As long as the front edge of the pan connector is in the right place the pan will just push on. You can usually see the connection from the top without the cistern on, so you can try it out and see if it works, although you will need to do the final connection blind with the cistern on.

They're not as hard as you might expect.

auctions

Thanks for the advice/info. I'll have a look in the cistern bits to see if there is a flexible connector, if not I'll go and buy one. Hopefully the soil pipe is at the correct height for the pan outlet although I can get an offset pan connector to take up some misalignment if necessary.

Cheers

John

Reply to
John

My news-server cleared this thread before I got the chance to reply, so can't include the original query.

I fitted one of these a couple of years ago for my daughter and as well as the flexible water connection, you can get a flexible WC pan connector. Screwfix do one

I found it too long for my application, however, so resorted to just lining up the toilet with a fixed, lubricated (washing-up liquid!) connector and pushing the whole assembly gently home. The toilet was mounted on plywood so I just kept an eye open for any tell-tale water marks. She's moved now, but it was still going strong a few months ago.

John Miller

Reply to
John Miller