Back from the dead

Some of you will rememeber me, others not. I have been ill over the past year-and-a-bit with a rather astonishing variety of ailments which seemed to rather laugh at medication. Fortunately none of them had a terminal prognosis. I managed to do a rewrite most of my webpages (the ones I thought merited it) and will soon publish them. During my absence I was upgraded to XP. I'd appreciate email about how to FTP stuff in this OS. My FAQs have mostly not been updated since '00, but I have not made revolutionary changes only evolutionary ones.

Regards to all,

John Schmitt

Reply to
john49

Hope you are getting better John - welcome back. As to "xp" - the prognosis is terminal!

Regards

Mungo :-)

Reply to
mungoh

Good heavens.

The Lord be praised indeed !

I'm sorry to hear that you've been ill, John, and very pleased to hear that you are back.

We need to do another NG meet in London....

Regarding XP, you can open a CMD box from the Run.. selection on the menu and then use command line FTP which is subfunctionally derived from Unix.

I tend to use the SecureFX and SecureCRT products from VanDyke which do SSH stuff as well and work effectively on XP.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I don't.

You make sound like fun.

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I find it a lot easier to use IE and just drag and drop the files I want to upload.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Your absence was very much noticed, and your contribution to the group was missed. Sorry to hear of your illness, and glad that you're back.

As for FTP - while you can still use windows explorer to FTP in XP, it's really not very good at it. I'd recommend installing an FTP client. Filezilla is a pretty simple, easy and free FTP client. You can download it here:

Good luck, and all the best.

Reply to
Grunff

Yuk.

I've never found browsers to be a satisfactory way of doing FTP. There is no reasonable progress indicator, no resume of aborted downloads and most of the functions such as passice are absent. Plus, with IE, it's noticably slower than with a standalone client.

Reply to
Andy Hall

It can be likened to using OE for usenet - another example of Microsoft's inability to write software.

I must commend you on your use for the phrase "subfunctionally derived"

- I will endeavour to use it myself if I ever find it fits the context.

Reply to
Richard Conway

On Thu, 30 Jun 2005 16:14:51 +0100,it is alleged that Andy Hall spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Kind of comparing a cheap penknife to a chainsaw :)

IE is designed[1] to be many things, a proper ftp client is .. a proper ftp client.

Totally agreed re: using browsers is a generally sub-optimal method of ftp, even for pure downloading only.

And John, though I don't know you, welcome back and glad things were non-terminal:-) Although as has been noted, XP may change all that

[1] for suitably miniscule values of 'designed'.
Reply to
Chip

Grunff wrote in news:42c4061a$0$23642$ snipped-for-privacy@news.zen.co.uk:

I've got to admit I didn't notice, but more in the line of "Jon Schmitt back? - didn't know he'd been away" which seems the tone for more and more of my life these days.

Day before yesterday, it was 1972.

So I'm glad you mentioned it, and are back again

mike

Reply to
mike ring

I'll second all of that, or N'th it perhaps by now. And it's good to have our resident group chemist back...

As to FTP clients, for some years now I've used Terrapin which I commend to the house:

Andy Wade

The problem is security, not the fact that MS have done what Thunderbird does, but years before - combine an email and newsreader into one program with a common GUI...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Hi John, and welcome back. Glad your news is good. I often wonder when well known names stop posting what the reason is. Sometimes one just fears the worst.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Indeed; how have we managed so many caustic soda threads in the absence of the resident group chemist.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

XP has a proper command-line FTP client - just type FTP at a command prompt and away you go. As for graphical FTP clients, I've been using using Core FTP Lite and it seems okay. WS_FTP LE is also good.

Reply to
Rob Morley

Reply to
Steve Walker

You make sound like fun, now let me think about that.

Does that mean that you are saying that he makes sound like you think it is fun?

You write absolute crap.

Dave

Reply to
Dave

Pah, you must think I was born yesterday.

Reply to
Richard Conway

..this man, this man, he cannot read ..it's clear he has no clue ..he thinks that all the swirls and things are drawings that you do ..

Reply to
Doctor Evil

I wondered where you were, now I'll have to ask all those rock questions I've stored up.

Glad to see you're better and posting.

Andrew Heggie

Reply to
sylva