B*****y plumbers

Nothing if thats what you want to be - I don't. I want to earn a good living not just beer money.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I'd need the beer money, but I need to be sure that there's enough beer money available :-).

It's academic now. I've just been offered a job back in a country whos employers aren't ageist. I don't really want to go, but it's that or unemployment (or being an odd job man!)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

The choice I faced was (a) finding another job at 50+, (b) finding a job that would pay as well, (c) finding a job that would last.

As an 'odd job man' I could earn beer money. As a 'professional handyman' I can earn £35K ish a year and am booked solid for a month ahead. Thats why I didn't want to be an odd job oik.

I keep feeling the urge to either franchise the idea or write the ultimate guide.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

That is not such a bad idea. Social trends (cash rich, time poor, little practical education) are pushing ever more customers into a situation of need. IIRC Colonel Sounders and Ray Crock were both in their late 50's early sixties before they started developing their franchise businesses.

Reply to
John Rumm

A mate of mine took early retirement from a government "organisation" before they sent him round the bend!, and I've never known him happier and fitter:)

He's working as a landscape gardener and repairs, not short of work and turning it away, and seems to charge what he likes at the age of 58 !...

Reply to
tony sayer

I can understand that, but I can't quite see what you are differentiating on.

is it: number of hours worked. types of jobs undertaken or something to do with this 'professional' word that are using?

and is there some relationship between the first two?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

No corporate identity, no web site, arrives in a scruffy 10 year old ex Telecom van, no signwriting, wears old jogging bottoms & tatty tee shirt covered in stains. has inadequate tools, doesn't turn up on time, doesn't communicate with customer, no up front tariff of charges, has your details written on back of envelope, bodges job, doesn't clear up afterwards, not insured. Charges very low rates.

Professional Handyman; Van, website, overalls, cards etc all bear corporate logo, web site with all details & prices. arrives in smart clean newish van fully signwritten, wears smart overalls & polo shirt with embroidered corporate logo, has full range of necessary tools, turns up on time or calls customer, has clear tariff of charges, uses detailed job sheet, does job properly, clears up afterwards, fully insured. Charges a fair but not cheap price.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

well I think that it's a bit unfair criticising people for not being internet savvy, but I see what you mean now.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

In message , tim..... writes

Don't forget ...

He's an illusionist by night

Reply to
geoff

Aren't we all?

Reply to
Andy Hall

Which has taught me that presentation is everything.............

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Exactly what I meant

Reply to
geoff

*applause*
Reply to
Huge

Whilst I don't doubt Dave's sincerity, I personally don't see the connection between "corporate Identity, tidy appearance, logo on van etc with charging a fair price and not bodging the job.

I suggest that you look no further than a certain national plumbing company that regularly appears on House of Horrors type programs if you think that they do.

tim

Reply to
tim.....

There isn't a connection between any of these attributes as such, in the sense that you can look the part and still produce crap results.

However, if you wish to be accepted as a professional handyman, doing all of them would be a basic set of pre-requisites.

Reply to
John Rumm

Actually I'm not an illusionist at all. Close up & mentalism are the only two branches of magic I'm into.

"A lot of people think this is an optical illusion - but it only looks like one".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

100 years ago we criticised people who couldn't read & write.............
Reply to
The Medway Handyman

... now we give them a BA in Meedia Studies...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Yes, looks right dosn't always mean it is right; on the other hand what is right probably does look right.

Reply to
djc

Now with modern schooling, there is no longer the stigma attached to it! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm