B&Q Wind turbines

The thing uses 6W in standby mode. I can't wait for the day a weather forecaster announces that there will be no appreciable wind over most of the UK for the next week, so you might as well unplug all your wind turbines and save us all a few MWh of power.

Reply to
Paul Herber

So it only buggers up your neighbours TV :(

Reply to
Alan

I don't mind *receiving* them - it's writing them distresses me.

And for reasons of public safety too - if it saves just one child from being knocked senseless by a wobbly turbine.

Stand by for the Association of Wind Turbine Manufacturers lobbying on the Building Regulations to get annual safety checks by one of their members made compulsory.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I hate that as well. It's a complete PITA having to make a special trip to go and pay the damn things in - almost as bad as having to go to a main post office to buy a car licence.

As far as payments are concerned, I've managed to almost completely eliminate cheque payments by not dealing with people who don't accept payment by credit card or BACS. There has to be a very good reason for me to get the cheque book out. So far this year, I have written 3 cheques and hope not to write any more.

Reply to
Andy Hall

AH, so that's how they get the 1kw and 30% saving on your power bill. All the other turbines up the street blow air at yours!

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I'm glad others have this policy - eventually it'll make a dent. I cannot stand cheques, either writing or receiving them.

Reply to
Grunff

In my case, 4 cheques this year, but one of them was lost by Legal and General (who can't handle BACS either), and one of them was car tax too.

I now write so few of them, I have to stop and think how to do it again each time.

I try to use BACS for everything.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Depends which child .... but how many children have been knocked senseless by a wobbly turbine?

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I offer to receive payment in BACS but only Museums do it. Most people don't seem to understand that it's quicker and cheaper.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Just make your mark on the back and post them to me. I'll handle all that irksome work of paying them in for you and you'll never see them (or the money...) again.

National Girobank used to provide prepaid envelopes for paying cheques in. For your cheques, I'd be happy to do the same :-)

Local government employees can still claim an additional 15 minutes' lunch-break every fortnight to go to the bank, negotiated when LA moved from cash wages to BACS.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

You seemed to assume that it WOULD be on the house. We souldn't have one on the house, we have a very sturdy (home built) garage which would accommodate one. If there were enough wind here, which there isn't, we've been told by a supplier.

Why am I not surprised?

I wouldn't believe anythinig from that source.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

. Planning permission is needed at the

?

Planning permission isn't needed here (I asked the planners) and if it were it wouldn't cost.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

I relicense via the DVLA website.

As for paying cheques in...I keep a stock of the paying in envelopes. At least I can just walk in, drop it in the slot and walk out.

Reply to
Bob Eager

That is very easy but Spouse wants to support the local post office so insists on doing the car and his bike there.

That's what Spouse does. I don't do anything except look at the on-line statements :-)

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Really?

Heavens! I can't remember the last time I used cash for anything. Oh yes, I can, when Spouse was having his prostatectomy recently and I had to park every day, twice a day, for nine days. That was a bit of a bummer, I had to search down the back of all the chairs and in his pockets to find enough!

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

The parents certainly have been...

Reply to
Andy Hall

Doesn't your hospital have an option to buy a weekly pass? Often cheaper than the extortionate amount they want per day...

Reply to
John Rumm

"Mary Fisher" wrote

. We souldn't have one on

You should try B&Q, I'm sure they could find a system that they will tell you would do just fine for you ;-) As I'm sure they will for most of their potential suckers - sorry I meant to say customers.

HLAH

No.

I didn't begrudge it, it's a privilege. Our hospital fund more than covered it anyway. Until recently it would have been impossible to find long term parking so things are better than they used to be. It's an enormous hospital and growing annually.

The annoying thing is that it's only two miles from home but I'd have to get two buses to get there and two back, with quite long walks to the bus stops. It was bad enough making the long hike to the ward from the car park. These days I can't walk that distance, I used to, pushing prams, when I went to ante and post natal appointments but that was a long time ago when I was younger and not arthritic.

On the last day the enormous car park was full, people were queuing to get in. I drove home, called a mini cab and was back again a few minutes later.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

As I always used to. It's only two minutes' walk away. Unfortunately, there are now only two sub-postoffices near here (they closed several others) and it is now permanently crowded, trying to deal with a customer load well in excess of its capability. It is a very small shop. It is just impractical to use it.

I buy stamps at the corner shop (which I do support), and unusual stamp values (not standard 1st/2nd small letters) online.

Reply to
Bob Eager