B&Q tradepoint eligibility

Local B&Q warehouse bulk load counter has turned into a B&Q tradepoint "trade only" counter. Website says you must be a "bona fide" trader and meet 2 of the 3 eligibility criteria to get the card. These criteria are apparently on the form. Trouble is I mouthed off (like a fool who had to drag heavy stuff miles to the main counters) in there and did not get a form, does anyone know what these criteria are ?

Also, is screwfix going to go "trade-only", since this tradepoint seems very similar and both are kingfisher ?

Just read another forum (sorry ;-) and apparently people have been throwing things about in other stores. So I think I was quite mild mannered !!

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Right, found PDF version of form. Its headed "open to to trade professionals like you !"

The evidence required is 2 of: Business Card Business Letter head Local newspaper advert local directory entry (thomson, yellow pages etc)

Whats the point of "just for trade". I don't get it.

Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Well nobody that shouldn't will get past stringent checks like that then.

Reply to
dom

Blimey - thats going to be impossible to defraud.

Dunno. Spose it stops the pensioners clogging up a checkout on Wednesdays?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

5 minutes with Microsoft Publisher will sort those for you :o)
Reply to
Dave

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

Probably as the Trade customers know exactly what they want, and dont want to chat about differing makes, they want to be in there, get the things, and get out, as soon as possible. I know that is why I no longer go to the local Screwfix branch, with my ready written out list in hand, as it is more likely than not that someone will be in there either returning something they did not think they were getting ("this drill was cheap, but I didnt realise it was

110v"), or asking the staff about which light fitting they want, then asking to see 2 or 3 different types of what they want.

This holds up staff, who are not there for viewings, as well as annoy people behind them in the queue, who know exactly what they want, and also have an alternative ready, in case the first isnt in stock.

So less staff to show/advise customers, less cash takings/more credit accounts - both cut costs by less staff wages, and less to pay security companies to take the cash away. Some of these savings will be passed on to the customer by a slight reduction in pricing, and obviously the retailer will get their cut, so it is worth their while.

Alan.

Reply to
A.Lee

Which can be a PITA at Screwfix, when somebody and his misses wants to chew the cud over which one to choose ("Well what do you think dear?"), see inside the box etc - whilst the queue gets longer and longer behind them.

I'd be all for a "no debate" queue at screwfix - if your slip isn't exactly right they chuck it straight in the bin and slap you about the head with an angle grinder (Quote No: 63218) .

Reply to
dom

I presume it is to compete with the main builders merchants, they offer reasonable prices and good opening hours, I know several builders that do use tradepoint, simply because the opening hours suit. I cannot remember which group of builders merchants now, but at least one has consolidated it's outlets and is looking to sell to a competitor.

With regards to Screwfix, if there are more tradepoints around the country, then there is no need for screwfix to have trade counters, seems to be a fairly obvious way to save money. B&Q is open all hours, so why not use it, they are offering better pricing with tradepoint. Would not suprise me if screwfix went back to online only.

Reply to
Vernon

I'm one of those superannuated checkout cloggers who's quite prepared to pay B&Q £5 to deliver a 3 metre worktop thanks very much

Reply to
stuart noble

Probably because trade isn't covered by the sale of goods act.

Reply to
dennis

Our local PC World always ask if you are buying for business, so that they can stitch you up with much more limited rights if you answer yes.

MBQ

Reply to
Man at B&Q

sm_jamieson wibbled on Saturday 27 March 2010 11:21

Easily arranged...

Reply to
Tim Watts

Hmmm - on many lines B&Q is vastly overpriced compared to Screwfix. Thursday I needed some coach bolts. B&Q price =A31.50/each (10*80mm), identical product Screwfix price =A37.50/for a bag of 50 including nuts.

They don't have to do that terribly often to ensure I simply won't bother to look in B&Q. OK, the nearest alternative to me is Screwfix, so my spend ends up in the same pocket - but if my choice was B&Q or A N Other Builders Merchants, the former wouldn't get a look unless I couldn't get it elsewhere.

Their price differentials are odd, on MK electrical fittings at B&Q are within a few pence of SF, but on plumbing fittings (solder ring or plastic push fit) they charge a lot more and (often) are offering an inferior product.

Reply to
dom

I reckon the price differencial is getting bigger. Now Toolstation do free delivery over £10 and I have a local hotel (who I work for) as a delivery address, I'm buying more & more from them.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

But B&Q is only open to trade (in theory) so if they replace screwfix counters, its only toolstation left. I guess the toolstation guy is looking on with interest. Simon.

Reply to
sm_jamieson

Well, I've just been to SF and asked to look in a box. That was because the website had conflicting information re. no. of batteries and size of chuck

- I won't buy thingd when there's no definitive info. available.

As it happened, there was a bottleneck at the one till - caused be younger blokes in scruffy workwear, so no one was delayed.

And yes, I do have a B&Q wrinklycard!

Reply to
PeterC

Yes, that is a PITA too. Stuff like ducting is just a confused dump of items in the catalogue, and even worse on the website.

When faced with that, I'll order them all from the website and send back (or get credit and be told to keep) what's wrong.

Reply to
dom

Yes but it depends on how much revenue the trade counters generate wrt the website. If they can get trade customers to buy from tradepoint, with discount, most things are similar in price to screwfix, but with the benefit of no numpties in the queue in front, and longer opening hours. As for joe public, he can still order from screwfix online, or if he needs it now, will have to pay the B&Q premium for the priviledge. Seems to make some sense, fleece the public more, offer better trade pricing, keen DIYers will have to use other outlets or order online to get competitive pricing.

Reply to
Vernon

5 seconds with Microsoft Publisher is too long a sentence.

:-)

Reply to
Rod