B&Q Solar

In our case it was part of the kit.

It only works when the water is being heated (it's a direct system) so no power is wasted.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Its a simple control system, but producing electricity by PV is not generally cost effective. More to the point, it gives control that is not ideal, resulting in a slight reduction in heat harvest. OTOH the idea of no grid power consumption is often seen as a sales point.

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Why should gas be higher? The new pipeline is working. You "can't give wholesale gas away", according to the press. It is good for 40 years, and more will be discovered.

The only reason we are paying huge gas bills is because the shareholders need profit, and we never make a fuss.

The reason being that they are so hideously expensive to operate, few can afford to have them on. I would love one in the lounge, but it is a waste of time and money because I could not run it.

Reply to
EricP

How do you work that out?

Reply to
Peter Parry

I didn't. It's on their spec sheet.

Maybe you'd care to come up with some figures of your own?

Harry

Reply to
Mr Harry

If it's part of the kit then of course it's worth having. The point I was trying to make was that to buy the PV panel seperately would probably cost more than the electricity it saves.

harry.

Reply to
Mr Harry

What I mean is your gas bills will be higher if you don't have a solar panel compared to having a panel.

harry

Reply to
Mr Harry

ROTFL. Must be right then.

Reminds me of a trip I once did with my daughter to buy some revision software. She was looking through several and then announced that one particular one was the best. Her younger brother asked how she knew.

"It says so on the box"

Reply to
Andy Hall

Strangely while I was reading your reply, the local BBC tv news was chasing a local rogue solar panel installation firm.

They got a spokesman from the official body pushing solar panels and the closing question to him was "Are solar panels a waste of money?"

There was a long pause and "They are a very long term investment", was the reply. He also said that they save about 15% to 20% of the average gas bill.

So at the present prices 20% is £65 per annum for me.

10 years £650 20 years £1300

Not really an attractive proposition from here.

Reply to
EricP

Those figures are meaningless.

It depends what you use gas for. If you have another fuel for heating and cooking you'll save a lot on your gas bill by heating water by the sun. If you use gas for everything you'll save less as a percentage. But it will still save.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Simplee Solar?

AJH

Reply to
AJH

Must be true then, I have a nice bridge in London for sale if you are interested.

Certainly. A solar panel (the type makes little difference) has an efficiency of about 30%. With UK irradiance levels and a 2.8 sq/m panel this amounts to about 1,000kWh per annum which, with gas prices at 3p/kWh means a saving of about GBP30 per year. Assuming you are using peak rate electricity this goes up to about GBP100 per year, on off peak about GBP50.

RM, like many suppliers of these things, appear to be a bit coy about price but assume it's a fairly typical GBP1,500-3,000 I'm a bit puzzled how saving GBP30 or even GBP50 a year for 6 years returns GBP1,500 to 3,000? (If you are on peak rate electric its much cheaper to opt for an overnight rate than fit a solar panel).

Reply to
Peter Parry

On Mon, 09 Oct 2006 23:06:11 +0100 someone who may be Peter Parry wrote this:-

A little over 1400 kWh per annum if one takes the figures from the table in the "How Much Heat Will I Gain?" section on

and multiplies the daily figures by the number of days in a month.

If one has a solar ready cylinder and fits the system oneself then the cost of the bits is around £600, which gives a simple payback period of 14 and a bit years *at present gas prices*. If one needs to replace the cylinder then there are various options, but they will increase the payback period.

As some of us have said before, a long term financial investment.

However, simple payback period is not the only criteria for deciding to do something. If it was then very little would be done in some areas.

Reply to
David Hansen

I have saved much more than that by fitting zone conrol valves and timers on each room. Running the heating only in rooms that you are using saves much more than solar water heating and is much cheaper if you DIY. I estimate a payback period of about 2 years IME. (TRV are not very good IMO but /may/ be better than nothing but only save about £50 each on outlay.)

Reply to
dennis

Hmm - I don't like such generalisations.

Indeed. Payback wasn't our criterion.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

And if the system already has those?

Solar water heating is usually not for space heating.

Mary

Reply to
Mary Fisher

Then you look at the next thing to save. Like buying a smaller car, a smaller house taking in elderly relitives and other things that will make a real difference to carbon emissions. Then you can get onto things like solar power which make much less difference.

Water is usually a minor use of energy in most homes.

Reply to
dennis

Working it back the other way, RMSolar claim you can save up to 70% of your DHW costs and that the system could pay for itself in 6 years..

So..saving =A31600 over six years equates to =A3266 per year. Therefore the total DHW cost per year is 266/70*100=3D=A3380.

So, their figures are certainly based on a large house but they are not completely out of the water.

It should also be remembered that if gas prices coninue to rise then you'll obviously recoup your investment quicker.

In addition remember that it's not just about saving money..it's about saving resources too..

harry

Reply to
Mr Harry

exactly.

harry (mr)

Reply to
Mr Harry

And when you done all you can think of - and more? I can think of many which we do and you haven't listed.

Reply to
Mary Fisher