B & Q SDS drill

Has anyone seen the SDS drill on offer for £27 until 23rd October. It feels sturdy and comes in a case with a selection of drills and chisels, probably worth £15 on their own. About 650w motor if I recall correctly.

I have a Kress but this could be useful as a spare.

Regards John

Reply to
J Rogers

Probably one of those that sells under a number of different brand names - the commonest being NuTool. If it has a label on the side that (is usually blue with white print and that) has a manufacture date as the last line, then it is. Also sold as Homebase own brand as well.

There have been a few comments on here in the past about the 650W version - underpowered and prone to burnout. The 850W is better, and the 1050W (that I have) is better still.

Reply to
harrogate

Mate had the 650 watt one you mention, burnt out after 20 mins use. Absolute s**te. :-)

Reply to
John Woodhall

We bought that drill for its chiselling capability when it was NuTool (and 50 quid) and so far it's completely destroyed an old concrete fireplace, taken all the plaster off 6 or 7 walls, broken up the aggregate concrete in the back yard and created 3 or 4 holes in the back wall (all engineering bricks too) for various moving of bathroom pipework.

My only complaint is the lack of rotation stop when chiselling, oh, and it's bleedin' heavy, and the supplied chuck for drilling is a waste of space :)

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

I got thorugh 3 of these before stumping up the cash for the Bosch one sold at Argos. Currently £95 and a world of difference. Lighter, variable speed, reverse, and feels more powerful. Neil

Reply to
Niel A. Farrow

Bought one to demolish an old garden wall, I thought sod-it it's gona get abused anyway; it's still going strong; but that seems to be a exception to the rule. Maybe I bought *the* good one?

The chisels that came with mine were total crap, ended up buying new ones which cost more then the drill!

Reply to
Martin

Also bought this drill when it was about £50 from Argos (badged under Power Devil). Smashed up several walls, drilled plenty of holes through double walls and used recently on a super thick concrete driveway when the road breaker could not get into awkward or dangerous areas. This drill has taken lots of abuse and is still working as new. The only thing to note is to check the grease filling point frequently when new as it runs dry pretty quick. However after the few initial uses it uses very little.

Reply to
StealthUK

I've never greased mine 'cos I don't have a C-spanner to open the compartment and my usual method of small-screwdriver-plus-hammer doesn't appear to work :)

Let it be known this is the only power tool I've got I don't take care of!

cheers

witchy/binarydinosaurs

Reply to
Witchy

Help me out a little here please.....

I bought a cheapo SDS from Homebase a few months ago. It doesn't get a lot of use, but I still do my best to look after it (as I do with all my tools).

What's this greasing business? Maybe I should read the manual more, but thus far I haven't bothered checking the grease level, mainly because I hadn't realised it needed checking (silly me.... ;)).

PoP

Reply to
PoP

My cheap[ish] Stayer SDS drill specifically says that it needs no routine maintenance. I think the requirement for grease or not varies from model to model.

Reply to
usenet

Well, it may depend on the drill. It will be pointed out in the instructions for the drill. The drill I bought came with a spanner to open the grease filling point on the top of the drill and a pot of grease. Yours may be different. I've had this one for 2 years so they may have revised later ones.

Just to check though.....you guys are greasing the end of the SDS bit before you put it in the holder, right?

Reply to
StealthUK

The instructions for my Makita suggest this as well, even though the drill itself needs no extra grease.

Reply to
John Rumm

Any tips on what sort of grease to use and where to get it? It's just that new bits come with (what appears to me) to be a variety of greases already on them - or oils - and I'm wary of mixing in yet another type!

Hwyl!

M.

Reply to
Martin Angove

Good question - the instructions for my one are not that specific. I presume "general purpose" should be fine. Since I have only had it a few weeks, its has not had enough use yet to have worn all the supplied grease off the new bits yet!

I was planning to get a small tube of multi-purpose grease from CPC next time I order. That way I can keep it ready in the drill case for when it is needed.

e.g.

John Rumm

You'd better make it clear which end of the SDS bit is supposed to be greased otherwise some fule will get the idea this is some sort of dust collection malarky...... ;)

And the answer is yes.

PoP

Reply to
PoP

If you sloppily get some grease onto both ends of an SDS by mistake, then drill into a brick, the grease & brick dust paste wedges it into the hole. You have a bugger of a job to get it out !

Andy Dingley

I've got the B&Q 850w SDS. Done loads of heavy chiselling with it and it's still alive. Great tool.

I'll tell you about the grease. I've been pretty meticulous about topping up. It only seems to get used with hammer action turned on, but in that mode mine runs dry very quickly - say an hour or so's continuous use.

At first it seems to be going nowhere and its fate is a bit of a puzzle.

Then you notice that you no longer need to grease the base of the SDS bits. The grease is working through and lubricates them automatically. Neat feature, you may think when you first notice.

Then you find the odd greasy splodge around the nose of the drill, and on your work. Hmmm.... not so keen on that, but not a major problem for the purpose of wanton destruction, which is what I bought it for.

Later still, it appears en masse in the ventilation slots around the motor housing. Yuck, and you can't clear it easily.

Then it starts to work its way out and you end up with greasy smears on the casing of the drill and even bigger splodges being blown out at random. Get too close during the difficult bits and you acquire a big greasy patch on your clothes.

Finally (several days near constant action) the drill degenerates into a disgusting greasy morass that you don't want to touch even with gloves and overalls on. Mine is currently exiled to a piece of cardboard on the garage floor while I pluck up the courage to pull it apart for a massive clean-out.

Apart from that it's fine.

W.

Reply to
Woodspoiler

What the hell are you chiselling? A replica of the statue of liberty? I reckon if I used mine for an hour continuously I'd have a team standing by to clear the site where my house used to be!

PoP

Reply to
PoP

Woodspoiler, maybe you need to use a higher melting point grease. Either that or you're overfilling it. :-)

Reply to
StealthUK

I'm completely remodelling and renovating a dilpaidated and badly designed and constructed area at the rear of the house. It's all hard landscaped. I've been breaking up part of a retaining wall, stripping the render off other parts of it, breaking up old concrete steps & a patio. I've got a great stack of full rubble sacks on my driveway, a line of rubble all the way up the side of the house, and a few more sacks yet to come before I get a skip.

The grease was a very ancient can of black Castrol MS3 high melting point stuff left over from my motorcycling days 20 years ago. Good stuff in its day, maybe not so good now but I have just about finished it and have some modern Lithium HMP grease to start on. Or maybe the mechanism in my drill has more play than it should, allowing more grease through. You would not presently touch the thing with a bargepole, assuming you wanted to use the bargepole again.

W.

Reply to
Woodspoiler