B&Q SDS

I bought a battery SDS from B&Q yeaterday for 80 quid. I've not used it yet but have high hopes. Even if it isn't as good as it might be, for casual use it seems a bargain.

Reply to
Weatherlawyer

Wow - that's cheap for cordless SDS. Got a link?

Reply to
dom

You will be bloody lucky to get a link to anything remotely uesful on the B&Q website. Scatter cushions possibly, SDS drills no chance.

Site is completely useless. Much the same as the stores of late.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Do you actually need a cordless SDS for casual use? I don't think I'd have much use for one.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

On Thu, 31 May 2007 00:59:34 +0100, "Dave Plowman (News)" mused:

I think it's one of those things you find a use for. Mine's non-stop doing something, hardly ever have the 110\240 drills out nowadays unless there's some fairly major chasing out\box sinking about to happen.

On a similar note, Re-Cell have had their stupid 'site closed for maintenance' sign up for Months now (I mean, for ffs, a phone number\something would have been better) and my 2 Makita 24V 3Ah packs are about knackered. Is there anywhere else that anyone recommends for doing the same thing?

Reply to
Lurch

Recell Tel 01303 254191 - you can get an archived copy of the web site here:

tried them, but:

to do the same thing.

Reply to
John Rumm

Hello all I'm Bob,the bloke who started Recell in the UK back in 2000. I'm so sorry about the Recell website. Recell Folkestone is no longer operating, but the good news is that Recell will be up and running from 16 July 07. The office will be in Rainham Kent and the usual mail order service will be in use for those of you not in that area. so if anyone needs information before then, please email me at snipped-for-privacy@recell.co.nz . I will be back in the UK to oversee their first couple of months, so if your batteries can wait until then, I can assure you a first class job! The website should be back online June

  1. Cheers, Bob
Reply to
bob

I've not used them, but how do their prices compare to DIY?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Depends on what price you normally pay for decent tagged sub C cells. At the £4 a shot the likes of CPC or RS want the recell places seem quite competitive.

If you go for something like:

can probably save £20 - £30 DIYing. Prolly only worth doing on packs that are screwed together and easy to open though.

Reply to
John Rumm

No, I'll go with the £20 lidl one!

'm joking)

Reply to
Steve

has been updated recently, and now shows all items that are currently available either from stores or for online ordering. Obviously, if this bargain was a manager special or an end of line item, it may not be there.

Reply to
diypaint

On 31 May 2007 00:10:04 -0700, snipped-for-privacy@recell.co.nz mused:

TYVM. They've needed sorting for the last 12 Months, another couple probably won't hurt.

Reply to
Lurch

They've got new ones in London which don't shudder.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Remind me : how do you travel when you're leaving the country on your frequent trips? Private jet, or public transport?

clive

Reply to
Clive George

I was thinking more in the context of public service buses and commuter trains in the rush hour in second class, the Underground and that kind of thing. I'm not claustrophobic, but I do object to the pushing and shoving that goes on on these forms of transport.

Trains such as the ICE are just about acceptable. Flights can be within reason if one chooses reasonably and avoids the horrendities of operators such as Easyjet and Ryanair.

Reply to
Andy Hall

I do. I just find the sardine packing that goes on with them and with the Underground and commuter trains to be really objectionable. If there was reasonable seat spacing - e.g. 50% more than at present and no standing allowed at all, then it would be different. As it is, I would take a taxi by preference.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Well, avoid using them in rush hour. Unless using them to commute you're not forced to? And buses outside the rush hour never seem to be crowded unlike the tube in central areas. Of course bus journeys may need more planning than the tube.

I've no experience of flying business class or above, but the normal tourist flights are more tightly packed than the average train - at least the latter gives you some legroom and the ability to stretch them if needed.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Sometimes possible, sometimes not. It rather depends on activities and appointments.

Exactly. Possibly if one were making a regular journey between A and B and can have it all worked out, and go outside peak times, it can make sense. If I have to work out several buses, the routes, when/whether they will show up for a single trip between arbitrary places, it isn't worth the investment in time to me.

Yes they are, which is why careful choice of airline, service and price can make a difference. On some, even business class only results in where the cabin divider is located and the type of food served. Frankly, nobody goes on the airlines for the catering, so the issues are really flexibility, personal space and price. Most regular business travellers I talk to (or surveys I read) put these above the frilly bits which few really want. By careful choice of airline and fare type, it's often possible to get prices for business class seats, with reasonable space for the same or within a few pounds of the same as flexible economy tickets.

Very true. I quite like using the train when I can for travel around continental Europe. In Germany and France it is interesting to use the ICE or TGV unless one is going from one end of the country to the other. Same is true with Eurostar to Paris or Brussels for me at the moment - may change when it moves to St Pancreas. Door to door the times are not far different, and the time on the train is far more usable than air because it's a continuous time without having to get on and off, there's notebook power and so on.

Up to about 3-4 hours, the train is useful - after that it's usually quicker to fly, depending on the trip of course.

Reply to
Andy Hall