B&Q Radiators - where to attach the in/out valves?

I've bought 7 of the sods - standard hot water double radiators with a sort of matrix of conductive metal in between the front and back plates. Now, there's threaded holes either side at the top which I presume I put the blanking cap and air vent fittings into (at least their dodgy photocopied instructions suggest this), but either side at the bottom, where I had thought I could simply screw my valves in, there seems to be some kind of circular plug *welded* into the hole where the valves should go. It looks like an X inside an O. Has anybody any idea how I proceed? I must admit to being baffled. I've concidered whacking a screwdriver through to see if that shifts it, but don't want to damage them if I'm wrong. Thanks for any advice offered.
Kieran wrote:

it's been painted after the plastic cap has been screwed in?
Ours were anyway, and taking the pug out chips the paint as well. Would have sent them back, if I could have been bothered.
Lee
--
To reply use lee.blaver and ntlworld.com

Are you sure they are not plastic plugs in the threads which have been painted over?

On Sat, 29 Nov 2003 17:25:16 -0000, "Kieran"

Use the screwdriver, but in the manner it was designed for. They are plastic plugs screwed into the thread for the valve tails. You could run a razor blade around the paint if you are worried about it peeling off, but it should be more firmly bonded to the metalwork than the plastic.
--
Me a skeptic? I trust you have proof.

Mail john rather than nospam...
They are just plastic and screwed into the threads... just get big screwdriver or a coin and gently undo them anticlockwise, they should come out really easily
Yes, thank you to all who answered. Just after I wrote that question I found a very big screwdriver and tried again to treat them as if they were screwed in plugs - this big screwdriver did the job fine! Out they popped! I feel a bit of a knob head now, but they were painted in, and looked very metallic and very welded. Just needed a bigger screwdriver. Maybe B&Q should add a little sentence to their instructions, as people aren't that happy about scraping around enamel painted radiators with a screwdriver unless they're absolutely sure that it's the correct thing to do - they're not the cheapest radiators money can buy. Ta very much though for such prompt and 100% correct answers.