B & Q PVCu Cladding for Shower walls

Hi all, I am planning on having an electric shower fitted over a bath. As this is an Housing Association flat I am not allowed to do it myself, and since I know nothing about the electric requirements, have found a plumber/electrician to do the work. He is agreeable to me doing the tiling on the walls, which will save me some money. I have seen the PVCu Cladding panels at B & Q. They have tongues one side of the panel and groves the other side. Does that mean they have to be trimmed off to get a flat side to the board at the start of the area to be covered, and how should the corner of the wall be done? Can anyone please advise me? Mick.

Reply to
Mick.

[snip]

Haven't seen the B&Q ones, but the ones I've used have a PVC edging strip.

A corner strip is also available, but I've usually slit the back face of the (twinwall) panel and eased the panel into the corner for a neater finish. (practice on some off-cuts advised)

John

Reply to
JTM

B&Q also sell the corner joints to match the boards. You can also buy similar (and possibly better)corner joints from plastic external cladding suppliers - try Yellow Pages. It's better to fit the cladding planks horizontally rather than vertically to ensure that the T&G sheds water. Cut with a standard tenon saw. Cut the grooved section off the bottom piece (leave about 2mm) so that this can be filled with silicone and won't sag or sink under the weight of other sections.

Get some help when applying silicone to the corner joints to pull the outer face outwards so that you can get the silicone in. You're quite likely to damage the soft boards if you try to force a silicone gun nozzle in behind the joints.

Cic.

Reply to
Cicero