B&Q PPPro cordless 4-pack - any good?

Just seen the new(?) B&Q Performance Power Pro 18V cordless set: combi drill, circular saw, jigsaw and torch with 3 batteries and what looks like a proper fast charger rather than the rubbish the previous set had. 150. Anyone tried it? Is it any good (apart from hammer action on the drill which I wouldn't expect to be worth the candle).
tia
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ If a job's worth doing, it'll still be worth doing tomorrow.

Grrrrr... that's the set I wanted. But I bought the older one with a sabre saw and the crap charger. The drill is "quite good" and the hammer action works for brick which is about all I asked of it. It's a good drill with a mechanical two-speed gearbox as well as proportional control. I had a problem with the first one I bought, after a week of use the proportional control failed. I got a replacement on the spot without any quibbling and they changed the entire set, not just the drill.
I bought the jigsaw separately recently and value the additional batteries and the fast charger. The old batteries will only work with the new charger if they are "jiggered" a little. The new charger expects a thermal cut-out to be connected between the positive pole and the third pole on the battery. In the older batteries this was missing.
The circular trim saw is really good IMO. I used the saw/drill and a router to do a lot of work over the last year and cut all the timber for a built-in book case using the saw as well as seemingly endless panels of plywood for flooring. It worked well and a charge lasts long enough to be useful.
At that price I may well irritate my wife a buy a pack to take to my place in Italy.
--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

---8<--- (snip)
OK, well despite the lack of encouragement (i.e. an excuse for buying it :-) from any of you 'orrible shower I've been and bought one, trading in my old PP 18V cordless saw on which the blade guard was defective (always stayed open, though I considered that more of a plus feature ;-) to help pay for it.
The drill is nice enough, though my Site (last year's B&Q own brand) 14.4V is fine. (Haven't tried the hammer action: I always use universal/multipurpose type drill bits.) One advantage of the new machine is the 13mm chuck which lets me use the big arbor on my hole saw kit: the Site has only a 10mm chuck.
The circular saw (apart from the annoying blade guard which works :-) seems OK.
The jigsaw has a rather plastickey blade grip lever: I wonder how long that'll last. But it cuts OK (compared to my cheap Ferm mains one which is falling apart now).
And the torch is pretty handy.
OK now back to fitting the new kitchen, to earn its keep :-|
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ I've got nothing against racists - I just wouldn't want my daughter to marry one

---8<---
I'm a bit disappointed with the speed control: as one squeezes the trigger further it increases smoothly then suddenly jumps to maximum. No problem for drilling but pants for driving. The jigsaw has the same behaviour but it's not a problem. I guess the motor speed control is just not capable of going up to maximum so they bypass it with a switch for full power.
It's something I can live with since my Site (Ryobi rebadge for B&Q) does the business for driving very nicely, but I wouldn't want it to be my only drill/driver.
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+

This IMHO is the bid difference between 'cheap' and good quality drills. When drilling, the speed control isn't that important. When screwdriving, it is, and that's where a decent one stands out. But since IMM only preaches and never does, he wouldn't find this out.
--
*I love cats...they taste just like chicken.

Don't get me wrong Dave, I like slagging off IMM as much as the next man ;-) but, er, he hasn't actually posted to this thread, has he?
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ Cannibalize Legalists
On Thu, 25 Sep 2003 07:18:27 +0100, "John Stumbles"

He doesn't post on any threads as far as I'm concerned. He was added to my twit filter some time ago.
PoP

No, but if he had that's what he'd have said. ;-)
His two bees in bonnet are expensive heating systems fitted by cheap tools. ;-)
--
*The beatings will continue until morale improves *

This can also be a function of poor quality batteries which can't deliver as much current as decent ones. I noticed a big improvement over new when re-celling my B&Q 18 volt one with Sanyo cells.
--
*In some places, C:\ is the root of all directories *

I can vouch for superb driving capability - that is about 90% of what it is used for - been putting in 4" x 10's ... 3 boxes of 200 used so far. batteries last an age compared to 12V dewalt

Fair enough, just noting what mine does. Incidentally mine is model CLM18CHD, comes with a side handle, has a 3-LED battery state indicator on the foot - maybe yours is a different model? Or maybe they've just changed components (or even suppliers) and package it as the same unit.
-- John Stumbles -+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+ -+ Things don't like being anthropomorphised.

No, I've got the same drill. Take it back and get it changed. Yours is faulty.
--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.

But just driving large screws isn't necessarily the only test. Starting small ones direct into contiboard often sorts them out. ;-)
--
*'ome is where you 'ang your @ *

That was the fault that afflicted mine. I took it back and got it changed for one that works properly.
--
Mathematicians, please don't drink and derive.