B&Q (OT rant)

So then you go shop at Sainsbury or somewhere else. Competition isn't just against the local shops.

There are still plenty of local "happy shopper" type places around but they do not even attempt to compete on price with supermarkets.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

Or a bus stop for the free bus that is very often provided.

MBQ

Reply to
manatbandq

From a "confusing" POV that may in fact not be a bad idea. The latest version has a radically different UI that is claimed to be better if you are learning it from scratch. (not so good if you need to un-learn the old version first.

I often find it surprising just how poor it is. You can tell that a large proportion of the userbase must just use it to knock out 3 page memos and letters. Doing complex techie documents on it is march harder than in word perfect.

Reply to
John Rumm

Indeed.

I never use word without managing to turn the air blue.

It has so many invisible hidden formatting gotchas that one is either in the position of spending hours setting up styles, and adhering rigidly to them, or not using them at all.

What You See is What you Get, is fine enough, but it would be nice for once if What You Got was What You Typed, and not what some nerd in Seattle thought you *ought* to have typed.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

As in many planning stories, "the view of the community" is usually the view of a vociferous subset. When our local Great Mills, now Wickes was up for PP the campaign against it was on two fronts: "No one wants it" and "When it opens it will bring traffic chaos to the area". The evident contradiction between these two was lost on most people.

Reply to
Tony Bryer

I'm glad it's not just me, then.

I worked in Tech Pubs for some years, and Word is a heap of cack for complex techie documents.

(Actually, it's just a heap of cack, period.)

Reply to
Huge

More like slow-motion dithering and staring at mince. Old people can stare at mince for *ages*. I don't know what they think it's going to do.

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

They are waiting for it to get near enough its sell by date to be marked down...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

LOL! Well done :)

Si

Reply to
Mungo "Two Sheds" Toadfoot

I was about to say that!

Too right. Especially when you need a group of related documents and want to try cross reference tables that reach between documents.

I have not yet found a way in word of doing something that was easy in WP - Say you have a engineering change request form that updates a doc. When you issue the new version of the doc, you need to produce a version summary in the front of the doc that states which change requests have been implemented in this version, and which pages were affected. In WP I would mark a target called say SCR0245 (matching the change request ID), and drop that target next to each change I made. Then in the summary you can put in a auto reference to page numbers and it gives you a nice list of every page number with that target on it. And you can then compare the doc against the previous version and have it redline or sidebar the changes as well.

So it seems.

Reply to
John Rumm

There's not necessarilly any contradiction in those fronts at all - perhaps no one in the *local area* wants it but many others, from

*outside the area*, may travel to it if such outlets are thin on the ground in that part of the country? They sound like fair enough concerns to me... (perhaps I'm one of those 'most people'!)

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Mm. Cambridge is a complete example of the above. Once a thriving market town attracting shoppers from a 30 mile radius catchment area, its now a place to avoid completely, since it has been made virtually unusable by cars, in order that tourists and residents can cycle all over it and play football in its streets.

Shoppers now travel further, to less car unfriendly places, or to out of town supermarkets, or shop online. Residents who have to get to the business parks by car, move out to the surrounding villages, creating traffic issues there.

But the council firmly believes this is good for the town.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't see the town suffering for this - on the contrary, it appears to be thriving. So maybe they're doing something right?

cheers, clive

Reply to
Clive George

I am somewhat relieved to read these comments. I thought that using one of our software manuals as a learning tool would be a good idea: we have styles, page numbering (starting again after prelims, what pain!), contents, indexing, cross referencing, pictures etc.

When I took the decision to switch this to Word I expected to be hugely impressed, given that WordPro effectively stopped being developed c.1998. Then I put my frustration down to being a novice. Now I find out the truth!

Reply to
Tony Bryer

When it was a thriving market town the majority of shoppers probably went there by bus - two car families weren't the norm and dad drove the car - if indeed the family had one. Now everyone has cars and wants to use them this sort of old town simply hasn't either the roads or the carparks in the centre for them all. Of course you could always knock down all the shops etc to make carparks...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)