B&Q Kitchens - Beware

you should come to work for my company the management would love to have you on 24/7/365 standby and not get paid. mind you with an attitude like that you probably are one of the management

Reply to
Kevin

Indeed I was merely pointing out that there are situations where it is possible to do nothing and take money for it, the person paying the money must perceive a value in it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

I could buy a van and then rent it to you. Or I could let you rent some money from me and buy your own van. Or I could let the bank have some money, in exchange for some interest, and the bank rents you some money, in exchange for a little more interest. Either way the added value is that you are able to have a van that you would otherwise not be able to have.

Doing this with the bank as an intermediary adds the value that the bank takes the risk that you will not repay the loan. They are entitled to take a profit to compensate for that risk. (And some banks have recently found out what risk is.) If the bank didn't act as intermediary then you wouldn't get your van, and I wouldn't get interest on my savings, because I wouldn't lend money to you directly. (Nothing personal, like.)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Most people get out of bed when they need to go to the toilet.

Proof that economics is a load of piss.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

I'm not suggesting anyone goes unpaid, just pointing out that sitting on your arse eating turkey is an unusual way to add value, but if it brings money in, don't knock it.

Reply to
Andy Burns

its the same as insurance you pay to cover the "what ifs"

Reply to
Kevin

Wages aren't the same as profit.

Then the company which gave you it weren't very good at maximising profit.

And I'd guess you didn't take being on standby seriously. Most during the festive period do festive things - not stay available for a possible call to work.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Most people who work for themselves do exactly that!

Reply to
Jerry

but that's their choice and they can charge a call out fee or minimum hours

Reply to
Kevin

I DO realise that, but lowered wages leads to raised profits, in a small company you often have the choice to lower your salary.

It was BG Transco, they wouldn't buy the system until we agreed on a rota of on-call employees, I don't think they *ever* called out of hours.

You're not very good at guessing are you?

I was always available as was required by phone and by modem, not drunk as I usually had to gather/deliver relatives at the start and and of the day anyway.

Reply to
Andy Burns

Just as it's your choice who you work for too... Next!

Reply to
Jerry

Lowered wages can and will lead to disgruntled employees - and then likely lesser profits.

Ah - a company in a monopoly situation. Say no more.

If you're gathering relatives etc you're not in a position to respond immediately to a call into work. Of course if that standby is paper only as is often the case then it doesn't matter in practice. One large organisation I worked for discovered that standby at home simply didn't work for some - so changed to having people come in and hang around instead.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Better than believing in magic, which is what we seem to have been doing for the last decade

Reply to
stuart noble

There are people that are stupid enough to believe in stuff like horoscopes and they are in places that influence the markets, etc. I think they should be removed from office.

Reply to
dennis

The 'value added' is the peace of mind for those in having someone on standby. Similar t reason to why people buy insurance.

mark

Reply to
mark

I only buy the insurance that I'm obliged to have.

Reply to
Andy Burns

You don't own a house then

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Yes I own a house, I have buildings insurance because my building society *OBLIGES* me to have it, OK?

I also drive a car and have insurance on that (actually I do choose to have more than 3rd party cover)

Anything else that very Tom, Dick and Harry think they know about me better than I do myself?

Reply to
Andy Burns

Every Tim, Dick and Harry?

Reply to