B&Q heated towel rail

Fitted a chrome plated B&Q heated towel rail for a pal a few years back. Thought it rubbish compared to my stainless steel one which came from TLC

- but it had already been bought, so just got on with it. The wall fixings must have been designed by a spider on acid...

Anyway, got a call from him this morning - it was leaking. Went round expecting it to be a valve or whatever - but no, it had corroded through in a couple of places where the 'rungs' meet the side rails. So basically scrap.

Obviously wanted one of exactly the same size to avoid re-plumbing and new holes in the tiles, etc. So having looked at the B&Q site, went to get one. And they didn't have one in stock - in the isle where the others were.

Went to the showroom, where there was the exact one on display. The very helpful assistant looked it up and said they are no longer available. Well could we have the display one then - not much point displaying something you can't buy. No chance, he said. Would spoil the layout, having things missing.

He then took us down to check the bay again - and pointed out a pile of the exact ones on the end of the bay on clearance. So 50 quid rather than

130... However, his computer didn't know they were there.

How long would it be reasonable to expect something like this to last? 20 years? 30? The new one has a 5 year warranty.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

we've been in this house 35 years and inherited a chrome towel rail which must have been there for many years. It's still going strong, although I've had to replace all the steel panel rads in that time.

Reply to
charles

Since everyone has enjoyed taking the piss out of my spelling....... Aisle gently point out that an isle is not an East End Fascist salute to 'itler but a small land mass surrounded by water (and is possibly Sceptered in popular songs).

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Of that order, rather than 20 to 30 hours...

But these days nothing is built to last and certainly not a lot of the stuff you get in the sheds that is made down to a price.

Which be as much use a chocolate teapot, when the stock of "end of range" units has been sold. OK you should still be able to get a refund...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice