B&Q further down the pan?

Hi All

Went to my local B&Q today to buy a pair of hinges.

Was it me or is the selection only half of what it was?

Amidst the air conditioners, steam irons & cushions I did expect a selection of hinges.

Are they going down the Homebase line of becoming almost a department store & forgetting their DIY origins?

Dave

Reply to
david lang

Certainly selection on their website

has shrunk dramatically too.

david lang wrote:

Reply to
Gel

There're probably some new building regulations coming out concerning hinges.

Reply to
Frank Erskine

Ah, so I'm not the only one who now finds B&Q somewhat less useful than it used to be. Ever since my local store was revamped and everything moved frpm it's customary place, not only do I now have a problem locating the right section of the store, which is most likely due to senility on my part, but when I do find the section I want I increasingly find that they don't have what I want.

Reply to
Adrian Chapman

New Regs due out begining of April

BS-EN / Bl41R / B0110X

'for safety reasons all hinges must now be sold without holes [these to be bought separately] Addendum; hinges must be incapable of moving more than 1 degree...ends

Reply to
Grumpy owd man

They all do it. Wickes has got more and more "style" rather than "decorating" stuff.

What I think happens is that someone at head office looks at the profit per foot for each part of the shop, and changes things based on that. Forgetting that it's when we've gone in to buy 3 number 17 froglet screws for 7p each that we make the impulse buys of a new toolbox, router and all the wood for those shelves we were going to put up.

Reply to
Nick Atty

B&Q are opening a series of stores called "Trade Depot" which will deal with the more basic stuff. They'll also be opening a load of Screwfix stores.

B&Q will concentrate on the more "frilly" stuff.

sponix

Reply to
sponix

Maybe B&Q got fed up of half the hinges being nicked. Go down my local B&Q or Wickes and anything small has been pulled out of the packet and pocketed. Not so much a problem when you're marking the product up 10 times but now they're trying to keep prices close to Screwfix ones.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Maybe B&Q got fed up of half the hinges being nicked. Go down my local B&Q or Wickes and anything small has been pulled out of the packet and pocketed. Not so much a problem when you're marking the product up 10 times but now they're trying to keep prices close to Screwfix ones.

Reply to
daddyfreddy

Was it ever any good?

Buy a box of each and every possible hinge from Screwfix, and you'll still pay less than a couple of plastic bag packs of the same items from B&Q.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

In article , Nick Atty writes

Not sure what Wickes's excuse is. I did read somewhere not so long ago that B&Q were having a "re-think". Apparently an increasing number of their customers are ladies, so they are altering their ranges to better appeal to them, so out go the boring things like hardware (or at least the stock range is scaled down).

Adrian

Reply to
Adrian Simpson

Don't B&Q own Screwfix with the original Screwfix founders now running something else in competition ?

Jon

Reply to
Jon Schneider

Adrian Simpson wrote: I did read somewhere not so long

Tried to buy some brick ties the other week.......................................

Then I wanted a pickaxe......................................

Sigh.

Dave

Reply to
david lang

There are evening courses on bricklaying... No need to go to those extremes ;-)

Reply to
Andy Hall

That explains why the original poster couldn't find his stuff because of the steam irons and cushions, right...?

I tried to buy a pickaxe from B&Q in Edinburgh because I had to dig postholes and a trench in my ex-wasteland garden. They said they had stopped selling them because of safety reasons - apparently people here in Scotland are known to smack each other in the heads with pickaxes! Good heavens! That they still seemed to be carrying the Stanley knives used by the Sep 11 hijackers...

Reply to
cs

Almost - B&Q and Screwfix are both part of the Kingfisher group.

The Screwfix founders went on to form Toolstation.

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Gracious me.

I thought the Executive's work in promoting sports in schools had made baseball bats the weapon of choice.

Or perhaps that's a West Coast phenomenon.

Owain

Reply to
Owain