B&Q Compound Sliding Mitre Saws

Doe anyone have an opinion of the B&Q compound cliding mitre saws? Are they any good at all? Not for professional work, but I have a loft conversion to finish (And a deck to build) and a few other things that require some decent mitres so am thinking of buying one (Jey any excuse to buy more tools :).

They have a redeye 1200W and another 1800W at only 99.99 at the moment. And a big 250mm job at 169.00 (All with laser sighting, The expensive one with dual lines (I'm assuming the lasers track either side of the blade).

Are these redeye and proline stuff any good at all? Are they tight & accurate at their angles?

TIA

Hamish.

Reply to
Hamie

Yes - they're cheap but are killed easily. Fortunately they have a three year warranty which keeps the blade nice and sharp when you take it back :-)

They're fine for home use - but don't cut mature hardwood as the motor bearing dies :-(

No - I think they do it without as well now.

No - make a test cut every time

Reply to
Mike

The 1800w ones are actually quite difficult to kill. I have an old one used by a builder for a couple of years and then given to me, it still going although I don't use it much now.

Accuracy is more a important issue with big shed mitre saws IMO.

See

and
for some discussion of this stuff.

I have had two of the 8" ones, both crap IMO, would not reccomend as they have design faults IMO.

I guess this means every time you set an angle. Beware though one of the B&Q 8" redeye's would only get to about 44deg tilt, which makes it useless.

On the positive (?) side, the five saws I had from B&Q were all refunded or exchanged with little fuss. In the end I bought a DeWALT DW707 without laser etc, more pricey, but better cuts, which was what I wanted. If you are interested

are doing them at £234 at the moment, which is a good deal.

HTH,

Alex.

Reply to
AlexW