B&Q Closing stores

Good riddance, I recently went in looking for some small steel washers, over £2.20 for a pack of 12 WTF!

Reply to
Spanish_Fly

Worst experience I had was a mortice latch. I pay 72p for them at Toolsatan. B&Q wanted £5:47!

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

May be worth keeping an eye out for which ones are closing, may be some good sell off bargains.

Reply to
ss

There were when Texas closed down.

Reply to
Tim Watts

So having seen off most hardware stores we will now be faced with no local source of such items.

Reply to
Broadback

But then they have opened "Screwfix" stores. (Both Kingfisher.)

Reply to
harryagain

Maybe there'll be closing down sales with cheap stuff?!

Reply to
harryagain

Might be an opportunity for some to come back?

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Shop rents in most places with any passing trade is what caused a lot of them to close in the first place, never mind having to compete on price.

You'd imagine shop rents would have to fall eventually but in most places landlords seem more than happy to rent empy properties to charity shops.

michael adams

michael adams

All that's going to mean is longer queues in Screwfix and Toolstation as people start asking advice and spending ten minutes making their minds up about what to buy. Which is already happening in my local stores. The idea of everyone writing down what they wanted on the ticket or printing it out at home, going up to the counter and just handing it over seems to be a thing of the past.

michael adams

michael adams

I think that's a result of printing money. You can get a capital gain on property, together with tax relief for depreciation if you can borrow money for almost zero interest.

Reply to
Capitol

That's if there's ever going to be any capital gain. The thinking nowadays seems to be buying up blocks of shops, possibly bunging someone in the Council, demolishing them and slinging up a four or five storey residential block, attractive to buy to renters, with some token shops underneath for Starbucks or similar to rent.

michael adams

michael adams

True enough, that and business rates.

If they are empty the landlord is still liable for the business rates, so they are better off letting a charity use it.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I understand that charity shops never fall behind with their rent.

Reply to
charles

En el artículo , harryagain escribió:

B&Q "cheap" is normal price anywhere else...

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

These days the first place I look is the TS web site, particularly with free delivery on £10 orders.

Reply to
newshound

Last weeek I bought some wood presevative which B&Q & Homebase sell fro £32. I discovered yesterday that it was only £16 in Wickes. Unfortunately, I couldn't take my original purchase back since I'd used quite a bit.

Reply to
charles

Poundland, if you're lucky, and don't need the washers to hold for any stru ctural purpose.

Owain

Reply to
spuorgelgoog

Oil based wood preservative will float on top of water.

Just an observation...

michael adams

michael adams

For most of the toolsatan items you have to look at the item in the flesh before you actually know if it will do the job as the catalogue is just pretty pictures and no info.

Reply to
dennis