B&D Strimmer - glue to hold on cassette mechanism

I have and old B&D strimmer with a plastic cassette holder and an orange cartridge for manual feed nylon line.

It ate a load of garden string and I had to take the black casssette off to get at the metal shaft and untangle the string.

Now this is a reconditioned (allegedly by B&D) strimmer which was given to me as a present by the in-laws so I have no proof that it was in original condition.

The black holder prised off the shaft, but on investigation it didn't seem to clip onto anything (although there are clippish bits under it) and it seemed to have been glued to the shaft.

So - looks suspiciously like a bodge and not B&D original but who knows?

So does anyone know:

(a) is this the way the cassette holder should be fixed on (b) if so, what is an appropriate glue to use?

Cheers

Dave R

Reply to
David WE Roberts

Not of much relevance to your question, but in case its of use to someone I will lob it in anyway!

I had a B&D autofeed strimmer once that used to drive me up the wall - as every few mins of use the spool would fall off the motor shaft. It looked like it was supposed to be an interference fit (i.e. friction / taper doing the job), but never worked that well. So one day I attacked it with a pillar drill and stuck a 4mm hole transversely through the spool and the motor shaft and then uses a 4mm nut & bolt to fix the spool in place. Worked fine after that!

Reply to
John Rumm