Axminster tool show uk.d-i-y meet

Hi all,

It's that exciting time of year again, when the good people at Axminster Tools get all their tools out for the tool show.

For anyone who hasn't been, the Axminster tool show is a great tools + machinery exhibition, where you get to look at, handle, prod, and in many cases try out a vast range of tools, from a long list of manufacturers (no PPPro).

Read more here:

Last year several of us went to the show then met up in the evening for drinks. I'm planning to do the same this year.

Anyone interested in coming along and possibly getting together in the evening (either Thurs 10th or Fri 11th) either post here or email me (address is valid).

Reply to
Grunff

I'd love to come along, but the M25 is so confusing. for some reason, they have adopted a strange numbering system. After the 31st junction, the numbering system starts at 1 again. I drove for hours, but I must have lost my bearings because I found myself back at London. Still, have a good day out and if you see anything really nice, do regale us with the details.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Don't worry - you only need to be able to count up (or down) to 12 - and come off at the M3.

[Then follow M3, A303, A30 all the way to Exeter - easy!]
Reply to
Set Square

Ahh, the crazy route. ;-)

M4/M5 is a lot less hard work.

Reply to
Grunff

Until you get to the Almondsbury interchange (jct of M4 and M5)...

Reply to
DMac

Except that it's further, and you'll likely hit congestion around Bristol. Why is the A303/A30 crazy? It quite a good route - nearly all dual carriageway.

Reply to
Set Square

I've heard a lot of people say that, but I've never experienced any problems there. Probably because I rarely drive during busy times.

Reply to
Grunff

Ok, it's not really crazy - I just don't like the A303 very much (too much holiday traffic). I prefer to just sit on the motorway. Call me boring.

Reply to
Grunff

I don't suppose there'll be *that* many people going on holiday to the south-west in November! Don't you agree, Boring?

Reply to
Set Square

The interchange itself isn't too bad - it's the M5 immediately south of that. _Terrible_ traffic problems with shoppers going to Cribbs Causeway shop-o-rama, then you have the summer caravan traffic too. It'll be OK this time of year, but it's truly impossible at a holiday weekend.

I live nearby this interchange and use it regularly for going straight along the M4. I'd never contemplate using it for the M5 on a summer weekend though.

What's the Exeter Axminster show like? I haven't been to one since they left Shepton Mallet.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It's pretty good I think. We went last year. They managed to fill up the whole of Westpoint, including the side extension (marquee). The nice thing about it is the ability to examine, handle and try out a huge range of tools.

Reply to
Grunff

I've found it pretty useful.

I went to a couple of the Shepton Mallet shows and this is now larger and easier to reach and rather more like a professionally run trade show.

The advantage is being able to look at and handle a wide range of products in one place and one day. I did that for things that have been on the list to acquire even if not immediately.

Generally there are offers or discounts for quite a few items.

I prefer to go on the Thursday because it's quieter but you have to buy the ticket in advance. Friday is OK as well and you can pay there. I would avoid the Saturday because it's a zoo.

Reply to
Andy Hall

But the A303 has some nice places to stop for lunch that serve Badger Best! ;-)

Reply to
John Rumm

There is a pub in Hindon which was superb about 10 years ago. Old coaching inn, dates back to the 1600s. About 2 miles south of the A303.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

I daren't go to the show because I've run out of room for any more tools, but if there's a meet I'd like to come to that, and combine it with a visit to Dartmoor.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Well try murdering Dr Drivel then, that should do it.

Reply to
Andy Dingley

It does get clogged with summer holiday traffic, but otherwise no problems. Why not take a look at the CCTV cameras to see what's actually happening there. The pictures are better in daylight ;-)

http://217.33.154.49/cctv7.htm

Reply to
Phil Addison

I'm booked in to stay overnight Thursday so looking forward to meeting a few of you again.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison