Axminster tool show uk.d-i-y meet 2004

I'm staying on the Thursday night, and is the beer night.

This gives you two options:

a) Go down on the Thursday morning and to the show. It's the preview day so you have to buy a ticket ahead of time.

b) Go down later on Thursday, stop over and go to the show on Friday - tickets in advance or at the door.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

Reply to
Andy Hall

It's about 3 miles from the exhibition site.

There is also a Travel Lodge at £45 right on the M5 J30, see

also had a £25 offer available on the FRIDAY night when I looked.

I'm sure any hotel would order you a taxi.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Sounds like the right deal.

I ordered a ticket earlier this evening. Don't know if I'll be going yet, but it's only 6 quid wasted if I don't.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

I checked it out earlier this evening. Quite close as you say.

Thanks for that.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Assuming that's where we were to meet up is there a suggested hotel close by? By which I mean staggering distance.

I've got the references to TravelLodge and TravelInn from other responses, but they are a few miles distant in the area of the M5 and I wondered if there might be something close to where we practice showing how much we can't drink.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

A search for guest house or B&B might show something up. Hotels are more likely in the town area. I have ordered a thursday ticket too tonight.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Hmmm, I can't picture any. I will call them (the pub, that is) tomorrow to find out.

The reason that pub was suggested is becase it's near the exhibition centre. If most of those coming are planning to stay over in Exeter, it would seem to make more sense to find a suitable venue *in* Exeter.

Thoughts?

Reply to
Grunff

Could be easier....... but I don't mind either way...

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

© Copyright 2004.

All parts of this Usenet posting are Copyright by the author. It may not be sold in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database, packaged with any commercial product, or published in print or electronic form without the explicit written permission of the author. The copyright of included material belongs to the original author.

Reply to
Andy Hall

Junction 30 of the M5 looks to be a likely area, however it must be nearly 20 years since I drove down that way so I have no idea what to expect.

Would be nice to firm up where the evening is going to be because at present I have complete freedom on reserving a room.

The originally suggested location is fine by me as well, I just thought I'd ask if there was accomodation close by which I could check out.

Andrew

Reply to
Andrew McKay

Yes, that could be a bit easier, if you have the time to do the research, otherwise the White Horse is fine. I don't mind splitting the evening, with drinks in a pub followed by a stroll to a nearby restaurant if that helps.

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

Suits me, as I could then get the train home.

Plenty of pubs of varying quality, some of which serve good food, and some nice restaurants too.

Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

Ok, I've spoken to the White Horse, and they say there is one B&B which they use often, which is actually very near Westpoint (but a few miles away from the pub).

What's the consensus on venue - White Horse, or pub in Exeter? If the latter, I'm happy to do some investigating. Most of the Exeter pubs I know are very studenty (that's how I know them!), but I'm sure I'll be able yto find some more appropriate ones if necessary.

Reply to
Grunff

I don't mind - i'm happy to get a taxi with either option if needed.

.andy

To email, substitute .nospam with .gl

© Copyright 2004.

All parts of this Usenet posting are Copyright by the author. It may not be sold in any medium, including electronic, CD-ROM, or database, packaged with any commercial product, or published in print or electronic form without the explicit written permission of the author. The copyright of included material belongs to the original author.

Reply to
Andy Hall

If you do decide on Exeter, this is a good place to start:

Al Reynolds

Any final decision on the meet? I should be around hopefully, Al

Reply to
Al Reynolds

I regret I'm not going to be able to make it after all. Work has completely dried up and I'm into penny-pinching mode.

Andrew

If you need help with those general DIY projects you can give me a call. More information about what I can help with can be found on my web site:

Andrew McKay

Where are we meeting? The show finishes at 5.30pm, and unless there are better ideas, I'll be heading back to a hotel to freshen up ready to meet in a pub say 7ish. I'll be looking for a restaurant later, hopefully within staggering distance of the pub.

My wife's coming along to check out the Exeter shops, and will be joining us in the evening. Any more swmbos coming?

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

NOSPAM from address to email me

Reply to
Phil Addison

I'm definitely still on. The venue is still a little unclear. The original suggestion of: The White Horse Inn Sidmouth Rd, Woodbury Salterton, Exeter, Devon EX5 1EP

01395 232244

is still an option (it is a pub+restaurant), but not great for those wanting to stagger to their hotel afterwards, since it's not withing staggering distance of anything (but is quite near the exhibition centre).

I guess one way to decide is to ask: where is everyone staying? Then we can find a pub/restaurant near the hotel(s).

Mine may or may not come along - there are pros and cons to both options ;-)

Reply to
Grunff

Hi Al,

I think we're definitely on for the 11th, followed by pub + dinner. The venue for pub+dinner is still undecided. Since you work in Exeter, got any ideas?

Reply to
Grunff

I'm staying in the city centre. My thought was to leave the exhibition, drive into Exeter and park, then check in, clean up and get a taxi to wherever (and back).

So, I don't mind either way.

Autoroute makes it about 7.5 miles from the city centre to the pub above....... I guess that Exeter taxis are not that expensive.??

Careful - she's looking over your shoulder again :-)

Reply to
Andy Hall