Awkward plumbing problem

The situation is this:

I need a knob cos mine's missing. Its for a radiator valve (lockshield, not trv). Now, I need as big a one as can fit cos the shaft on the rad's as stiff as hell.

Now... no way in hell can I go into a plumber's merchant and say that to the bloke behind the counter. How can I put this without being seriously misunderstood?

NT with knob missing

Reply to
meow2222

:)

Radiator valve handle?

Reply to
GB

IME experience of these things, if you go to a PM and say you need a new knob, they'll do their best for you, the have a good laugh after. Then you'll be 'known' there and get better service from then on....

Reply to
GMM

If it's a lockshield then surely you'll adjust it with a spanner, and then fit a cover which doesn't engage with the shaft rather than a normal knob?

Reply to
Roger Mills

That's the current situation, and its quite unsatisfactory. I'm not going to say I need a knob :/

NT

Reply to
meow2222

Maybe. I suspect they'd think I'm after something else. :/

NT

Reply to
meow2222

The lockshield valve is the one only used for balancing the system and has no knob, just a cover . So you could probably find some plasticobject and make your own.

If it's the operating knob and it's stiff, it wants fixing or your new knob will likely split or break off. Probably why it's missing in the first place. Why not fit a TRV?

Reply to
harryagain

Coarse and non-PC jokes are day to day norm in these places. Only wuzzers need to worry about such things.

Reply to
harryagain

Um, why is it unsatisfactory? It's not like you adjust lock shield valves regularly. Also, have you tried simple things like loosening the gland nut and lubricating the shaft (oo-er!)?

Tim

Reply to
Tim+

If determined - check if it is a square or two flats. I have a mix of both

- and different sizes. Some I can turn with a bleed valve key.

Reply to
DerbyBorn

Is this one of those quarter inch spindles with a slot in it? Id have thought these were pretty standard. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Take a piccy on yer smartfone .. that being worth a thousand words;)...

Reply to
tony sayer

Then say "I need a bigger knob".

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

Years ago I picked up a packet of universal replacement ones from a B&Q bargin bin. Instead of a fixed sized hole in the cap there was a starlock type arrangement to grasp whatever (although it looked fierce enough that it wasn't going to come off in a hurry.)

Reply to
Scott M

Aren't they officially still called "wheel-heads"?

Reply to
Graham.

Na, he needs to ask the merchant if he has a large knob, and request to handle it!

Reply to
John Rumm

or to see the biggest knob they've got there? Er.... no!

NT

Reply to
meow2222