Avenue Supplies using uk.d-i-y posts in their advertising

But you have posted it to a PUBLIC news feed.... You have in effect waved your rights to some degree, as long as someone doesn't try and pass off your work as their own (which they are not) there is little or nothing you can do short of not posting to a public newsfeed.

All Avenue Supplies are doing is taking that public news feed and placing it within a HTML web page - just as Google etc. do.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

It is astonishing he has not appeared in this thread. Do you think that perhaps he lives in West London and works for a certain DIY distributor? One with a large excess stock of Stainless DHW tanks, even? It would account for the ready access to the sales blurb he posts in his tedious sciolous manner.

John Schmitt

Reply to
John Schmitt

Even that could be OK. The criteria is that you can't touch them unless they copy it "for gain", because if they don't gain (and you don't loose) from it, you have nothing to sue them for. A plain web interface to a newsgroup would fall into that category. OTOH, a web interface as part of a commercial site that simply carries the newsfeed as a 'service' to its clients on a separate part of the site is probably flying close to the wind, whilst a site that filters posts and diverts relevant ones to a product page, as Avenue Supplies did, is IMO wide open to a legal challenge for a share of their profits on at least those items, plus legal expenses.

I assume that is why Avenue Supplies have taken the uk.d-i-y pages off their site entirely, and all credit to them for a quick action there. I doubt it is due to the slagging off of themselves that they inadvertently displayed, though that will be what drew their attention to this thread.

They could, of course, redeem themselves with a suitable post here ;-)

Phil The uk.d-i-y FAQ is at

Google uk.d-i-y archive is at
editor (a t) diyfaq (stop) o r g (stop) uk

Reply to
Phil Addison

Try telling the priggish Addlson that.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not a lot.

Oh I see. It's OK to make and sell DVD copies of a film so long as you acknowledge that its a bootleg?? Do try to keep up with the explanations that have been given here, and read the links I gave.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Well, you should give your express permission to the thousands of organisations supplying News of one sort or another, then.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

So just as you haven't bothered to follow up the links I gave that would tell you exactly which copyright myth you believe in, you didn't even look at the first page on Avenue Supplies I complained about. Had you done that you would have seen Dave's post about a Honeywell CM-67 embedded right in a page normally arrived at by searching their catalogue for thermostats, and listing some dozen that they sell.

Rather different from google.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

Have you tried posting your usenet articles via

?

You would not have been able to. They are not part of usenet so the above argument is irrelevant, as well as inaccurate.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

So you too are too lazy to read the explanatory links I posted. Try again when have engaged brain.

Phil

Reply to
Phil Addison

What, like all the companies that charge for access to Usenet, eh?

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Oh dear, phil, you are confused if you think that's the same thing.

Try to do that yourself.

Reply to
Chris Bacon

Not in this bit of the universe. Every published book is available publicly - but that doesn't mean that you give everyone the right to re-print or re-publish.

Re-publishing. They can certainly use extracts as quotes as long as they acknowledge source and author. How would you feel if I published a (printed) magazine full of advice culled directly from your comments? As it happens I do publish a magazine (RISC OS computers - not diy) and occasionally ask people to re-state a good news group comment for the magazine. I wouldn't dream of just taking the original - much less taking it without permission.

Reply to
John Cartmell

first

WTF are you whittering on about!

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Oh I don't know - I think a certain amount of entertainment is for the public good.

Reply to
Set Square

"breach of

posting

store-and-forward

Well on that score nor are any NNTP servers that don't allow 'posting'...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

Don't you believe it!

If you photocopy an issue of Qercus for yourself (no gain) I can sue you for the loss of the sale of one copy of the magazine. That won't cost you much - but the lawyers' fees (my side as well as yours) will cripple you! ;-)

Whilst you may have a harder job showing the loss from a ng comment that doesn't mean that it's impossible.

[Snip]
Reply to
John Cartmell

effect

little

I would be happy to follow a link to the relevant section in the official online version of the relevant UK or international Copyright Act - in other words, to the Act it's self, I can then verify that you are not just linking to opinions.

you didn't even

No different than putting "Honeywell CM-67" into a Google search and accepting the newest message.

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

I stick by my earlier post that the real villains here are their web design company "Computer Consulting People"

There's more than one place that draws from uk.d-i-y, for instance

Tony Bryer

I would suggest that it would be all but impossible for a

*contributor* to do that, an ISP / NNTP host (that charges for NNTP / Usenet access) might well be able to show it, but then they would have already been able to close down all the free nntp servers... As far as the contributor is concerned there hasn't been and will never be any financial loss.
Reply to
:::Jerry::::

,

effect waved

Books (etc.) are written or published for financial gain, people posting to Usenet are not doing for financial gain. Usenet and the nntp protocol only work due to ability to 're-publish' peoples contributions.

Are you seriously suggesting that is someone writes a story (for example) and then posts it to a Usenet group they could legally prevent it being 're-published' by other servers?...

So, you want Google to shut down their nntp web interface server and archive ?

Reply to
:::Jerry::::