Aux ouput from smoke dectectors

Are there any mains powered (battery backed), linked smoke detectors that have an "aux ouput" that could be used to release a magnetic catch on a fire door?

Could the link be hijacked? Is there enough power available to operate a small relay that could drop the supply to the magnetic catch?

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

We have recently re-wired our house and have mains-powered smoke and heat detecors (with battery backup) that are connected to magnetic catches on three fire doors. if any of them go off, or we have a power cut the catches are released and the doors all close. It is often the first sign of a power cut (living in the country), to hear all the doors slamming shut.

If you are interested, I can have a look and see if I can find the maker's name on any of it, when I am back at home.

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

At least one manufacturer (Kidde do them) produce a backplate that contains a relay, intended for just this sort of thing.

See:

dom

That's just what I want.

We tend to notice the click and hum from the UPS as it drops onto battery.

That would be useful, the TLC link to Kidde stuff has given me a fair bit to look at but knowing what else is out there is always good. Thanks.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I have a complete fire alarm system as removed from our home 7 years ago including all the door closers, magnets, sensors etc that did that, keep meaning to put it on Ebay.

Mike

Reply to
MuddyMike

=A316.50 for a backplate with relay strikes me as a tad expensive, especially as a bare one is only =A31.99. I guess you only need one though.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Don't all interlinked detectors have such an output by definition?

Mathew

Reply to
Mathew Newton

Hi

To give you some more options, you can also use an Ei Electronics system with relays that are suited to have radio-interlinked alarms connected to it wireless.

of course you could simply fit a Dorgard to every firedoor. the unit simply listens to the smoke alarm and releases the door when there is an alarm

Harry

Our smoke and heat detectors are made by a company called Ei Electronics and the door catches by a company called Menvier.

hope that's useful

Jonathan

Reply to
Jonathan

Ta, will look at their range/prices.

A company I have heard of in relation to mag door catches etc.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Some of them interlink by radio I believe?

Robert

Reply to
RobertL