Automatic Telephone (Old electrics for Owain and JGH)

It was a nicely-bound reprographic reprint ;)

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Ah, I must have been working for the council at the time ;)

Owain

Reply to
Owain

Visited somewhere last week where they had done the first fix for the non-electric version. Job never got finished.

This photo (not mine) shows a typical installation.

Chris J Dixon

slow in paying, builders upped tools and effed off.

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

Indeed so. A fascinating place to visit - I hadn't previously seen a building of that period where all the constructional details were still visible.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

I can't help but feel that that looks like something halfway through a refurbishment rather than having been left unfinished. Surely, they would put the floors in before fitting the fireplace rather than try to install a fireplace halfway up a will and then put a floor in afterwards.

If it had been abandoned I would expect it to be rather overgrown by now.

Reply to
Andrew May

Not quite as grand.

of the comments on the abandoned hall images about the "double" arches over fire openings and door ways are a bit daft:

brick built arch to to support the wall above the opening so the expensive decorative stone door or fire surrounds don't have to.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Chris J Dixon

I found that after I had posted so does indeed look genuine. Still think they would have build the floors though and they have rotted over time. Not least because there appear to be holes for beams which would be a bit difficult to add later. But I am quite willing to be proved wrong.

It looks an interesting place and might be worth a visit next time I am over in that direction.

Reply to
Andrew May

They seem to be pretty clear about how far the job went. The ceilings for the lower floors are in any case stone vaults, only one of which was completed, with supports points for the rest in place. In places the original wooden scaffold ladders and form work remain. Externally there are stones missing where the putlog holes were.

Certainly is. Quite restricted opening hours though.

Chris

Reply to
Chris J Dixon

Nice bit of telephone pr0n here:

almost every step I was thinking: "that could have been automated by...."

JGH

Reply to
jgharston