Automatic cat feeder?

Can anyone suggest an automatic cat feeder that would be suitable for when going on holiday for a week?

We tried a cattery - but the cat hated it - wouldn't eat - and cried pitifully when collected. He used to fend for himself before he adopted us - and loves freedom.

We've been away for a couple of days and just left out a few bowls of food. But going away for a week would call for something more sophisticated.

Maybe we could make something simple?

All ideas will be welcomed and appreciated.

Reply to
Chris

Are you seriously saying that you would go away for a week and leave the cat to fend for itself with no human contact .

The only way is for YOU is to find someone who can have access to your house and change food and water for the cat .

What you are suggesting is just plain nonsense and you know it and if someone reported you I would not blame them ..

Stuart

Reply to
Stuart

Is this really a serious question?

If you own an animal, you really are taking responsibility for it.

While a timer arrangement feeding machine could be reasonable for a day or so, it really isn't reasonable for a week. The implication anyway would be a need to use dried food - will the cat eat that?

The other issue is fresh water each day and providing that. This is apart from the cat thinking that it has been abandoned and finding alternative accommodation.

Really there are two practical options. One is to find a trusted friend or neighbour and to ask them to come in and feed and tend the cat.

The other is to take the trouble to find a decent cattery. They do vary and in the past when we've used one we've looked at 4-5 before finding one we considered acceptable. While I agree with you that taking a cat out of its territory and putting it into another is not ideal, in the absence of someone visiting your home, it is the only viable proposition that IMO does not represent cruelty to the cat.

It will eat if hungry and decent catteries will allow you to specify the food within reason.

Needless to say, the cat is fully up to date with innoculations?

Reply to
Andy Hall

You can buy such devices, but they only cover a couple of days - and over that timescale we do what you do and leave loads of dry food out for him, so IMHO the gadgets are a waste of space (and at worst they can go wrong leaving the animal hungry). Any longer than a couple of days and you need the human input anyway (which is probably why you can't buy longer-term auto feeders.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Are you for real?

They get used to it. Cats can and will survive for quite few days without eating if they're so minded, and they usually have excellent will power when trying to bend you to their wshes. Don't give in!

Our cats love their freedom, but I wouldn't dream of going away even for one night without putting them in.

Don't go that a-way! it ain't right. What happens if the cat has an argument with a car, a dog, any sort of mishap?

If you take on an animal, you have to accept the responsibility that comes with it. If not, you desrve to be reported to the RSPCA.

Reply to
The Wanderer

Others have given their views on leaving the cat for a week. I would agree with them. The most we ever left our cat was two nights....leaving in the evening before the first night. Automatic feeders just about hack it for that length of time.

Best solution, barring finding a better cattery, is a pet sitter. Not someone who necessarily lives in, but will visit for a reasonable time each day to keep the cat company.

A good place to look is the notice boards at local vets.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I would...the cats look after themselves by and large, and often wander off for days, weeks, or permanently. One did come back to make his great niece pregnant...we kept some of the kittens, but now shes wandered off as well.

Cats like the warn safety of a house, and free food if hunting gets too hard.

You are merely a means to both ends.

Tosser.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If a cattery is not an option (as in my case) Then use neighbours, friends and family to feed the cat and give it a company whilst you are away. If you cannot use these then a pet sitter is the only option. Splash the cash, your cat is worth it.

I left my cat for 5 days using the neighbours, friends and family to look after him whilst I was away and he was fine when I came home. On a previous occasion when I used a cattery (which I had visited and liked prior to his stay) he had to be sedated by a vet as he was in such a state. The cattery phoned me and kept me informed at all times explaining all the problems.

You can supply the food yourself.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

So the others who said similar things will be tossers as well then ...???????????????

Reply to
Stuart

Probably.

Cats don't *need* human company, they need food and warmth and water.

If you have a cat flap, and leave the CH on, then they will be fine with a kilo of dried cat food.

The only time our cats need attention is when they are sick. Then they come to where they know they will get treatment.

Dogs are different: They are sociable (pack) animals and hate being alone.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Un-neutered cats wander more than neutered cats.

I do belive my cat hunts far and wide for it's food. A catflap is an invitation to a free dinner and other cat owners on the street have told me he visits their house.

Adam

Reply to
ARWadsworth

It's a bloody cat. Cat's don't give a toss about their owners. I bet you give money to the RSPCA so they can "rescue" then kill all the stray cats that are doing perfectly well off what they catch and what scraps they get.

Reply to
Doki