Automated home.

No commercial connection with them, except that the guy who wrote the programs is a mate of mine ...

Tomin Dotsson

I have a 'comfort' home automation system

... many on the market ... and that is the problem, no single standard.

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Was he related to stirling Moss?

Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

What a load of useless bollix/woffle. Serves absolutely no purpose.

Reply to
harryagain

This is an area which is innovating fast and heavily using innovation to compete. That's not generally compatible with a "single standard", as it tends to be a blocker to innovation.

I've also installed a couple of Comfort systems - very good, but not cheap.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Might talk to you about that ... still have more to go

Reply to
Rick Hughes

Because there are not FITs to sponge?

Reply to
dennis

So why bother? Just a geek's mad dream.

Reply to
harryagain

No more mad than yours.

Reply to
Richard

This programme was well written...

George's House

Adrian C

Lol - that is my feeling about gadgets.

I love them, but you need to be able to operate the house when the gadgets die.

Reply to
Tim Watts

operate the house, well how about the gadgets that first let people lock doors, those gadgets still go wrong today a hundred years and we still can;t make locks that don't fail or keys that don't get lost or damaged ;-)

Reply to
whisky-dave

Those gadgets ar eat least modular - you don't have to throw away all your locks because your front door latch died and you need to fit a new one.

Reply to
Tim Watts

You lose the keys you change the locks and if you happen to keep those keys on the same key ring.

Reply to
whisky-dave

Anyone that does this is barking mad. The same can be done bylow tech means for one hundredth of the cost.

Reply to
harryagain

Yes, that was something I was mindful of with my house. Heating and hot water are computer controlled, but I have an override button to force the boiler on and I could lock the mid position valve in the mid position, if the computer control failed. (The first system I did doesn't have that, but so far, none of the computers have failed in the 15 years these system have been running.)

Lighting is computer controlled too, but requires only a single micro- controller working. All the original lighting could very easily be reinstated with its original switching, but there are some newer lights which don't have mains wiring to the switches and some don't have any switches at all.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

I had the Comfort system and all the addressable relays for free - so why wouldn't I ?

Reply to
Rick Hughes