AutoCAD drawings.

Page 1 of 2
I have several project drawings that are in '.dwg' format which is the Autocad file type.
I can view these by importing into Photoshop or VISIO, but I can't edit them, they appear as a single item ... rather than the individual elements of the drawings.
AutoCAD is not a cheap product and has a reputation for being a steep learning curve .... anybody know of any other suitable drawing package, presumably with fewer 'bells & whistles' which will allow me to edit these files?
Rick
On 7 Nov 2003 08:05:25 -0800, snipped-for-privacy@alcatel.co.uk (Rick) wrote:

have a search for "intellicad"

There are hacked versions of ACAD around which cannot possibly be recommended. Or you could try autosketch?
TimM wrote:

One drifted my way. Copies anyone?

It would be a bit difficult for anyone to reply to that offer, since it would by necessity have to be offlist
--
geoff

Somebody I know got into serious trouble at work having got a no dongle version of ACAD 2000 off the net, along with a dogy serial number. Not recommended. Full AutoCAD is around 3000 but the LT version can be got for around 500. If you have a serious interest and are not short of a few bob the LT version might be a possibility. It is not that difficult to learn the basics.
Eric
gnome wrote:

Corel draw is on ebay for under a hundred in pertfectly acceptable cversions.
Unless you are really DEEP into CAD graphics, it does everything you need, and covers bitmaps, and color graphics as well.
Rick wrote:

One of the PC magazines currently has turboCAD (old version of course) on the coverdisc.
--
Chris
-----

In Visio you could insert the dwg (as a CAD drawing) then right click the drawing and choose "convert", this allows you to convert it to Visio shapes (or to delete layers) - now you can edit using Visio.
Dave S

shapes
I'll certainly try this, but the only way I could get into my copy of VISIO 200 was to import it ... and it then appears as a locked object - can't edit.
Rick

the
VISIO
get yourself over to suprnova.org and download a copy of autocad

I prefer this client personally (i`ve had less problems overall)
http://ei.kefro.st/projects/btclient /
A couple of bugs with torrent files still seem to persist - on this specific client it can bomb if you use your mouse to make dropdown selections (so I use tab and the cursors, and it hasn`t crashed since) and every now and then, you`ll find one file that just doesn`t want to complete - someone somewhere will have a damaged file and although the client thinks its done, when it does the checksum on the file the last part is constantly corrupt. Leaving the file for a few days and trying again usually resolves it, as long the person with the corrupt file has buggered off...
* if at first suprnova.org doesn`t load, reload the page - it uses several cloned sites to stay online and will redirect you each time you reload it.
Colin Wilson wrote:

This one has a very full featured interface, allowing you to prioritise files within individual downloads, stable, plus good queuing. Needs Java JRE 1.4.1+ installed. http://azureus.sourceforge.net/ _Highly_ recommended. W32/Linux/OSx
--
Toby.

shapes
Dave - tried this, dwg imported OK - but there is no option to 'convert' under right click ? can you shed any light on this.
Under right click there is 'CAD drawing object > properties' but nothing that relates to converting to VISIO shapes.
Rick
...snipped

the
What version have you got? In the 2002 version there are 2 options: properties and convert. Unfortunately I don't have 2000 installed any more so can't check that.
Dave S

2000 ... maybe that is the difference
Rick wrote:

Turbocad learning edition is a free dwonload from somewhere.
Corel draw also works.

snipped-for-privacy@alcatel.co.uk (Rick) wrote in

I've used turbocad learning edition, it's excellent, better than Sketch 3 (was it, the last DOS version, the windows ones were ruggish)
http://nct.digitalriver.com/fulfill/0002.16
You can also get the manuals in PDF form.TBH I don't know if it does .dwg files because I never met them, it was *.?xd or summat - it seems a long time ago.
I now find it too finicky, but I would like to find a good sketching prog, but I generally end up using vectors in Paintshop Pro
mike r
Rick wrote:

What if you select the object and select "ungroup"?
--
Cheers,

John.

Have you seen David Snell's wProCAD+. It is an excellent dwg programme by a UK author, so you get immediate support. It reads .DWG filetypes (but doesn't write them). Price is 150.
Goto <http://www.zynet.co.uk/dsnell for more information and a free download of a demo to try out. It is not the complete prog (obviously) but enough to see how you would get on with it.
--
Tony Williams. Change "nospam" to "ledelec" to email.