Auto switch off a battery cupboard light?

I have a battery operated "push light" from Homebase in my understairs cupboard (a button shaped thing that you push to switch on/off). Trouble is, my wife or minxy daugher will leave the light on and I can say goodbye to 3 AAs.

Is there such a thing as a little time delayed switching component that I could get from somewhere like Maplins and solder in so that the light will switch off after a couple of minutes?

The only other solution is to beat wife/child each time until they learn. Of course I never leave the light on myself!

Reply to
AA

as its low voltage why not wire a microswitch to the cupboard door and bypass the push switch

Tony

Reply to
TMC

Lateral solution 1: fix a switch that disconnects the battery when the door is closed. Of course that assumes that you^W they aren't as bad at closing doors as they are at turning lights off.

Lateral solution 2: use a lantern battery instead of AAs, which will probably last for months, but beware the voltage difference (might matter, might not). I'm assuming this a LED light.

Or both.

Reply to
Mike Barnes

or Lateral solution 3: use re-chargeable AAs

Jim A

Reply to
Jim Alexander

LS1a: put spring closer on door.

LS3: wire a proper mains light in, on a door switch.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

On 10 May 2007 04:15:24 -0700, AA mused:

Pneumatic time lag switch.

Reply to
Lurch

Snag with that is any such electronics will consume some power all the time. I'd be inclined to use some form of mechanical switch - a micro switch or similar - operated by the door, as there is no safety issue.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

one of these:

Robert Laws

Thanks for all the useful suggestions. I think I'll stick with rechargeable batteries and beating the family as a back up. I found the complete solution on ebay - pretty much what I already have but with a timer. Probably crappo quality though.

search for "push light auto off"

Aardvark.

AA wrote:

Reply to