Auto-sleep modems

No good for me...I ssh into mine from home.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have found WOL (wake on LAN) a very useful compromise - depending very much on circumstances and requirements. Though I do end up wondering how much electricity is required to keep the machine alert enough to respond to the appropriate packet.

Reply to
polygonum

En el artículo , polygonum escribió:

Very little. The network interface is kept alive by a standby 5V supply so it can listen for the "wake up" magic packet. When one arrives, the rest of the PC is powered on (or woken up if in standby/hibernation).

Reply to
Mike Tomlinson

Easy on the same segment of a LAN, not so easy across the internet. I think it can be done after suitable hoop jumping.

Not a lot, the 5 V standby rail can only supply, IIRC, 500 mA. Assume

50% losses 5 W maximum, probably nearer the 2.5 W of losses.
Reply to
Dave Liquorice

I wouldn't know, I never honour them with my presence. Ditto $tarbucks.

$tarbucks had the only open early-morning coffee stall in a terminal of Detroit airport when it was my local hub. The stall had a coffee menu which showed only the largest of their cup sizes, the smallest of which was a Tall. Most people, myself included, just wanted something to wet their whistle while waiting, not a giant mug of coffee, but the Tall was never available, so you had to buy a multiple of the volume you wanted, at an exorbitant price. If you drank it all, then an onboard toilet excursion was inevitable.

Reply to
Davey

Many women are like that, and don't even function properly when re-activated.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Bill Wright wrote

Your inability to turn on a woman has been noted.

Reply to
Sailor

Shouldn't be a problem unless your Mordacs are trying to make things difficult[1]

any transport may be used as long as the payload contains a large enough pattern of data - so in practise that means UDP on typical networks (TCP will never get past the first SYN as there's nothing intelligent enough on the receiver to set up a TCP connection) unless you hand craft a packet with either the requisite payload and bypass the senders TCP stack).

Reply to
Tim Watts

I have quite often used LogMeIn to switch on a remote PC. A matter of luck whether it is possible or not (e.g. might be deselected in BIOS), but often works.

Reply to
polygonum

You mean you need to stand on a woman before you can turn round? Bizarre.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I have no real problem with printers going to sleep here. I rather that thn they sit there using up elec doing nothing most of the time.

Dell colour laser, a little bit of wiring when it wakes up before printing, presumably the fuser heating up? Doesn't seem to take long.

New Canon inkjet, I think it takes a bit longer from sleep, but it's only used for photos, and any extra time isn't an issue anyway

Reply to
Chris French

But sometimes there is sleep, and there is deep sleep.

I install Brother HL-5440 printers for customers almost daily.

If they are quiescent for four hours they power down and cannot be woken up via the interface.

You can toggle this mode off and on by pressing the "GO" button on the printer 4 times.

The printer will still go to sleep after a time configurable up to 90 min, but will be woken up by a job being sent to it.

Reply to
Graham.