Auto-sleep modems

European Union rules will oblige new networked devices such as modems and internet-connected televisions to switch themselves off when not in use.

Going to be plenty of work for non-repair men switching on 'dead' tv's and the link.

Reply to
Sailor

I blame the manufacturers who marketed devices with ludicrous standby consumption. And maybe fans of undrinkable coffee. :-)

The possibility of switching to a very low power state, possibly maintained by a small rechargeable battery so even the main power supply can be switched off, has been around for quite a while.

It will be interesting to find out of things like VM boxes are affected. As they are supplied directly, without consumer choice, and usually no packaging, will they have to comply and would we ever know of their consumption?

Reply to
polygonum

don't see the issue with this. Mine's on 24/7 even though I may only be on my computer for a few hours a day, or even on holiday for 2 weeks.

Can't see that it's going to save me a sizable part of my bill though

I think that only the internet connection bit will be powered down when not in use

There is no way that a TV is going to be able to tell that no-one is actually "using" the output part. Even if someone were to invent a sensor that checked if someone was sitting in front watching, there's still going to be no way of telling that there isn't someone just around the corner, listening

tim

Reply to
tim.....

and I wanted to say

what's all the stuff about the drip filter coffee machines

just who are these coffee "police" who have decided that "coffee that has stood for more than 40 minutes is undrinkable".

I'm sure that whenever I have shared one of these machine within an office people would be drinking coffee that has stood for a couple of hours, with no complaint.

How is forcing people to throw coffee away and make fresh stuff cost effective?

tim

Reply to
tim.....

It's not. That'll be the coffee pod lobby, getting ideas from the lightbulb lobby.

Reply to
Bob Eager

And those of us who want their routers on 24/7 for CCTV and HA purposes?

Everytime the EUSSR does anything, it's a +1 for UKIP.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Well, I one who can't drink coffee which has stood for a while...

I'm the only filter coffee drinker in the house and two are made per session. I pour my first just as soon as enough for the first as run through, I usually have the second within 30 minutes, but can still pour it upto 60 minutes. Beyond 60 minutes I just cannot drink it, it becomes horribly bitter.

The Little Chef always (the latter 10 years) used to serve coffee which seemed to have been kept warm for hours - it was terrible, I used to have to settle for either milk or tea it was so bad.

Reply to
Harry Bloomfield

Some TVs aready do this: the Toshiba my Mom has puts up a shutdown timer counting down for a few minutes on screen if no-one has changed volume or channel for a number of hours. I think it can be disabled but it seems to be on by default.

Reply to
Chris Bartram

About 12W continuous on your base load. That represents about 10% of my unavoidable base load which includes alarm, clocks, emergency lighting and devices like ovens which are a PITA to set times on if power is removed. It adds up to 100kWh per year so about £10 could be saved.

I would be quite happy to have it drop to > and internet-connected televisions to switch themselves off when not in

Which is perfectly reasonable. There is no point today in having sets that routinely burn 30-40W running the TDTV decoder just in case any prehistoric legacy VHS tape recorder is connected to a SCART port.

This one is worth checking in the config of any TV from the digital changeover era some of them have default standby states that consume

20-50W or so which can be disabled if you delve deeply into settings.

It is interesting to check the standby power consumption of your devices before shelling out on expensive eco greenwash solutions.

A lot of modern kit consumes less in its native standby mode than some of the older smart socket eco "solutions" that are on sale.

It makes sense to power down the entire set when it is not in use. The set does warn if it has gone for more than X hours without any channel change or controller input before shutting down to off. You can set X the number of hours without an input from the remote before shutdown.

A lot of TVs are left playing to an empty room. Mine is set to 2h which is enough that almost no programmes last longer than the timeout. OK a back to back performance of Wagners Ring Cycle would...

In which case they will have to come back in the room and press the remote to get the programme back.

Reply to
Martin Brown

Yearsa go, I was staying in a small hotel in Wiltshire and one morning the coffee tasted as though it had been boiled. I sent it back and the owner came and apologised "You must have got the staff coffee" (poor staff).

Reply to
charles

Not quite as far as that but my FritzBox! allows you to turn off the wireless between certain hours and automatically reduces CPU speed when idle, along with powering down unused ports (USB / Ethernet).

I have mine in 'modem mode' if that helps. ;-)

Good point / question.

I suppose with all this global warming giving us milder winters and longer summers we don't need all these appliances acting as mini heaters around the house (in the summer). ;-)

Cheers, T i m

Reply to
T i m

Indeed. I have a load of stuff on 24/7; all I can do is make sure they are as efficient as possible!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I have a Cannon printer that goes to sleep if not used. Complete PITA.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

I find it had to believe that the oven clock consumes a sizable percentage of a fully operating oven ;-)

tim

Reply to
tim.....

Mine's 3 hours. As I use Freesat for 99.9% of the time, it does warn of impending doom during a long evening, due to no TV controls being used. The Onkyo AVR goes off much sooner - I haven't bothered to check it, but it's only about 10 min. or so. Just as well, as the thing is 45W - more than the TV.

Reply to
PeterC

all new models do that

At my last place of work the printer was at the far end of the office a good

50 yards away

even waiting a couple of minute before walking down to it to collect your printing it still hadn't warmed up from its standby state

tim

Reply to
tim.....

I had an HP like that - trouble was it still ran at the same power and still took 45s to 'boot' - total waste of time.

Reply to
PeterC

And how are they going to detect "not in use"?

My kit gets a continuous background hum of inbound scans and bots - not to mention I've got internal stuff chattering lightly all the time.

Impossible to implement.

Reply to
Tim Watts

Though a fairly short time before they went belly up, they started supplying halfway acceptable Lavazza coffee. For the first time ever, drinkable coffee at LC!

Reply to
polygonum

Exactly. That too. The mail server alone will keep it busy.

Reply to
Bob Eager