auto removing messages

Hi why does anyone set an automatic expiry's to their messages in a group like this, seems pointless to me and a lot of good information is lost. The internet is big enough to save everything, and is really useful for reference. Everyones question that has been worth asking is worth leaving on!

Reply to
SiGreen10

Expiry is a matter for the news server. Articles can include expiry date, but few do. Since you are accessing this newsgroup via Google which doesn't expire any articles, I can't really work out what you're trying to say.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Automatic expiry is surely a function of your newsreader and can be set to what you want? Unless you're just downloading headers. If you don't, you're going to have a lot to store.

You use Google for that.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Some people set 'X Archive No' in their headers, this means their message is only visible in Google for 7 days after posting

Example:- (valid only until Jan 9th 06)

Mark Carver

You need to learn about server retention.

-- Sir Benjamin Middlethwaite

Reply to
The3rd Earl Of Derby

Chances are the expiry is ignored by the servers anyway.

Reply to
Nigel Molesworth

On 2 Jan 2006 06:30:59 -0800,it is alleged that "SiGreen10" spake thusly in uk.d-i-y:

Assuming you mean the "x-no-archive: yes" header already mentioned elsewhere in the thread, most likely some people are setting it globally because of one or more groups that request it and it's then affecting all groups.

Reply to
Chip

I set it because Usenet is not a medium of record. Do you *really* want your conversations down the pub recorded and shown on the BBC in 20 years? Because that's what Google is doing (metaphorically speaking.)

Reply to
Huge

The ' Internet ' does not save anything!!. Servers do though and their capacity is finite.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

So you object to someone searching for the answer to a problem which was answered on Usenet a year or so ago ?. This has been going on for years, is it really such a problem or do you have something to hide, in which case don't say it on Usenet.

Dave

Reply to
Dave Stanton

Usenet has never had a defined sole transport mechanism, or expiry. From the very beginning, there have been sites that don't expire old messages, and transfer news in a different format, from UUCP to magtape, to... For example, I archive all newsgroup content that I downl9oad. Simply because it makes it easier to search that subset that I read, rather than teh whole lot. Of course I ignore x-no-archive.

Expecting with certainty that someone won't pop up in 20 years with your message, solely because you've set x-no-archive: yes, is at best optimistic.

Reply to
Ian Stirling

That's OK, the Berne Convention doesn't care.

The chances of you have a publically searchable archive of any size in 20 years is nil, so I shan't lie awake nights worrying.

Reply to
Huge

IMO, you've given your permission for your message to appear on usenet. This has no defined expiry date.

Whether this can be accessed via NNTP only, or via a web interface is pretty irrelevant.

Actually, it's not. At the moment I archive older stuff off to DVD, with only the current set searchable.

In 20 years time, the disk to hold that amount of text will be vanishingly inexpensive, so I'd expect to have it back online. Going from that, to making it searchable and accessible by otehrs online is a few moments work.

Indeed, I might well do this, if google gets annoying to access, with ads. Admittedly, I only have several groups (maybe 30) with any real continuity, but some groups I've got well over 8 years of archive.

Reply to
Ian Stirling