Auto darkening welding masks

Page 2 of 2
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.co.uk (adder) writes:

Someone on my welding course using this technique welded the workpiece to the bench.
Oops.
On 20 Feb 2004 23:45:43 GMT, snipped-for-privacy@ukmisc.org.uk (Huge) wrote:

[T] When I was a lad and on a course and doing some stick welding the guy in the next booth had a white hot ball of steel bounce off his leather apron and go up his nose!
All I heard was a 'pop' a scream a 'fizz' (as the stick welded itself to the bench as he dropped it) and caught the sight of him rushing out of the booth to plunge his face in the quenching tank (full of bits of welding scrap and rusty water)!
I did feel sorry for the lad though .. it looked like it had frightened the whatsit out of him and the image if his face covered with rusty water and steam exiting from one nostril with stay with me for ever .... ;-)
All the best ... and weld safe ..
T i m (with auto mask)
"Mathew J. Newton" wrote:

It's called "arc eye". You should not look at the arc, or reflections of it. You should also cover up all exposed skin to avoid the risk of (potentially) serious skin damage.
J.B.

..& when you cover up use something like leather or cotton that won't allow very hot bits of metal to burn through!

..& when you cover up use something like leather or cotton that won't allow very hot bits of metal to brun through!

..& when you cover up use something like leather or cotton that won't allow very hot bits of metal to burn through!