Auction Lists for houses

Having been watching the numerous TV programs where by people by houses at auctions and they do them up and intriguing. Coming from a family that built their own house, my father is always egging me on to do the same.

So my question is, where does one find listings for upcoming auctions and from where? Watching the TV i notice that the auction house is not usually local to the house they are selling. Anyone had any experience with this?

Reply to
Alan Williamson

in Essex:

mrcheerful

A web search for phrases like "House+Auctions+UK" or "Building+For+Auction+UK" or "Houses for auction, UK" should bring up a good few hits for you to follow.

Reply to
BigWallop

Yellow Pages - auctioneers....

Reply to
Mike Harrison

I would say that more often than not, the auction houses *are* local; and I wouldn't think you'd want to get involved with any that aren't, especially as a beginner. Look at Yellow Pages. Often estate agents are also auctioneers, if yours aren't, ask them where you'd go to by a house at auction.

Having said that, I wouldn't really recommend the auction route to a newbie. Yes, you've got the chance of bigger gains, but it can be pretty high-risk too.

David

Reply to
Lobster

Clough & co in N.Wales, also Dodds & Cavendish Ilkin. All are estate agents. In manchester watch the free ads papers, again its estate agents.

Rick

Reply to
Rick Dipper

auctions

Usually the auctions are local, but I do remember seeing one programme where a property up north was auctioned in the midlands. I believe the buyer got what they considered a bargain as not many northerners went down to the auction, and not many midlanders went up to view the house. I thought it strange at the time that the property was auctioned hundreds of miles away, and it wasn't like it was pitched at an exclusive clientelle. I thought the seller had probably inherited, wanted to offload it quick, and never bothered to think about the target audience.

Reply to
coot_uk

wrote | Usually the auctions are local, but I do remember seeing one | programme where a property up north was auctioned in the midlands. ... | I thought it strange at the time that the property was auctioned | hundreds of miles away ...

The bulk of auctioned property is/was mortgage repossessions. They aren't aimed at the general/local market but are often bought for investment by people who will refurbish before letting or resale, often buying unseen or on their local agent's report. (They can take that risk, I do NOT advise that strategy for an individual buyer.) The repossession agencies will use only a few auction houses for all its properties countrywide.

Owain

Reply to
Owain

If you lived or intend to live up North and are looking for a placce, then I would suggest looking ate a wensite like this:-

address in posting is ficticious and is intended as spam trap Personal mail can be sent via website.
my auction items on eBay & eBid:-

troubleinstore

Butters John Bee do one inStoke on Trent three or four times a year - on the one occasion I attended hoping to pick up a buy-to-let property, every price went stupidly sky-high so i didn't place a sngle bid (thankfully)

Reply to
Paper2002AD