ATTN: Rod Speed - "soggy island"

water companies don't think we're soggy. They have to be the single most incompetent shower of useless people on the planet. A drought in the UK, a bloody ISLAND!!!! [Shakes head in disbelief]

If I lived down there, I'd leave the tap running 24/7 to teach them a lesson.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Yes, it's because it hasn't rained much recently. And because the great British public is somewhat resistant to water meters (all houses should have them).

What'sits being an island to do with it.

See above about water meters.

Reply to
Tim Streater

I thought this was a troll. However I will wade in in any case. As we have loads of wind generators out at sea now, why not just get them working to make drinking water out of seawater rather than have them providing power when nobody needs it and not when they do, at least water can be stored unlike electricity for the grid. Brian

Reply to
Brian Gaff

Indeed - the Middle East manage it. The UK is just disorganised.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

How much does it cost per litre or per cubic metre? What about the setup costs?

Reply to
BartC

Well what ever it is it wasn't too much for them.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

It might be too much for us if it's going to be several times the £1-£5 per cubic metre that we pay now.

In a desert country, especially an oil-rich one, paying more for that for water may be a necessity.

Reply to
BartC

I wonder how much they use? I bet they got fountains. Mind you they co= uld be run on salt water.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

Don't let facts get in the way of a nice fantasy.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Why is it fantasy if they can do it?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I take it you also insist on paying a flat rate for food regardless of how much you actually use.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

No, because food is not plentiful, and some people would end up as fat as an American.

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

I don't have the exact figure but I should guess it's more for a cubic metre than for a litre.

Bill

Reply to
Bill Wright

Reply to
Mr Pounder

Bang!

Reply to
grimly4

Why reintroduce the wanger?

Reply to
Lieutenant Scott

God's Own Water costs =A31.33 per cubic litre, 0.133p per litre according to my current bill.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

Does that include sewerage charges? Also charged per cubic metre. (Total about £2.50/m3 around here.)

And there's a standing charge which usually comprises 50% of my bill with my usual consumption. So effectively about £5/m3 or just over 2p a gallon.

(To illustrate how much that is, if I turn my kitchen tap on full -- 15 litres/min -- that's about £4.50/hour. Equivalent to turning on 15 2kW fan heaters all at once! How did opening a tap get that expensive?!

The figures include the standing charge, so the unit cost goes down the more I use, but not by that much. But it goes up if I use less: if I only use 1 litre in a particular month, that will cost me £12!)

Reply to
BartC

WTF is a cubic litre?

Reply to