attn: BigWallop - yer binary woes hopefully solved!

Page 1 of 3
Have a look at this; I've done 2 versions since I don't know which end of the DIP switches in question is the MSB and which is the LSB, ie is the number '1' the rightmost or leftmost switch.
Assuming right-to-left numbering, here's 0 to 1023 in dip switch format:
http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/binary.php
Assuming left-to-right numbering:
http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/binary-rev.php
Find a way of printing that for yer spod and you should be ok!
If you want to find a particular sequence quickly just use:
http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/scripts/binary-image.php?string 00000000
where the 10 zeros are the number you want to show as a DIP switch, right to left, ie 0000000001 is '1'
Left to right is:
http://www.binarydinosaurs.co.uk/scripts/binary-image-rev.php?string 00000000
Hopefully that'll help :)
If yer DIP switches don't look like that just send me a pic of the block and I'll fit it in; the script is v.flexible.
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs

I couldn't be arsed to wait for the final piccy, but the last one, 1024 should be interesting!

Yup - the last one is wrong - its actually 512. 2^10 is 1024, but you've got to remember that 0 is one of those possible combinations, so you can only do 0-1023, not 0 - 1024! ;)
Very impressive otherwise though... :)
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 09:39:40 +0100, "David Hearn"

*grin* - I know....blame my dodgy loop constructs!

Ta; I'm trying to get back into programming after a 10 year self-induced abstinence to maybe make meself more employable....
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 13:14:35 +0100, Witchy

A quiet word to set expectations may be called for here......
Having been employed in the IT industry for over 25 years, the last 7 of which were as a freelance IT consultant (software developer) on bleeding edge technologies - followed by a forced 12 month abstinence from not being able to get any sort of IT development job paying a reasonable rate - I can say with my best French accent that the UK IT marketplace is well and truly buggered. So I started up my own handyman business, earning a whole lot less than I did two years ago, and thoroughly enjoying every minute. Plus I'm a lot fitter, having lost over 2 stone in weight these last 6 months.
I am on friendly terms with several IT recruitment consultants. All of them, to a man (or woman), have advised me that for every IT job posted there have been 350 instant CVs landing on their desk (or arriving in their email inbox, which is the standard way of IT recruitment these days). Only about half a dozen of the cream get looked at - the rest are filed under "better luck next time".
Why this downturn? A couple of reasons. First, Labour introduced IR35 in 1999 which made the contractor treat his limited company income as personal salary, as a supposed "disguised employee" of his client. One or two contractors were then stupid enough to pursue their client through the courts so as to claim holiday, sickness and other employee benefits. Result? In many cases clients are wary of offering jobs to freelancers for fear of the freelancer taking them to the cleaners.
Another big reason is the offshoring of IT projects to India and other far off places. People in Bangalore get paid about 10% of what a UK IT consultant does (or did), and are considered very well off in India even at those low rates. The numbers game played by the big corporates dictates that this offshoring is rather a good game.
Plus Labour have opened the floodgates to IT migrants coming into the country via fast-track visas. You know that deal that deal old Blunkett did with the French to close the Sangatte holiday camp on the French side of the chunnel? Well the rumour is that the French were very pleased to close it, providing that the UK took the inmates from the holiday camp. They weren't treated as immigrants because that would have made the immigration figures look ballistic, but they came in as workers, on visas.
Then we have the end of the Y2K crisis, and the general slowdown in industry not helping matters.
The latest information I have is that there are about 250,000 IT freelancers in the UK today. About 80,000 (or 30%) of those are currently without work.
Things are picking up a bit presently, but not to the levels that existed 2-3 years ago. I'm in no rush to go back to IT (I really, really don't want to).
Good luck with your aspirations, but I wouldn't hang your hat on IT getting you employed - there's an awful lot of very good IT people who can't get a job today, so someone with newly acquired skills is likely to find it quite difficult.
PoP
PoP wrote:

We recently had a long thread about this, and I said a lot of stuff which I don't intend to repeat here, but I'd like to briefly counter your point for the benefit of Witchy.
I know that many people share PoP's thoughts re. the current state of the IT industry, but this has not been my experience at all.
I've been on the recruiting end, and have had major problems finding *skilled* people to fit the jobs. Whenever we've advertised, we've received hundreds of applications, but finding candidates who can deliver what they say they can is a totally different matter.
Many of the candidates looked superb on paper, and presented themselves very well at interview, but when it came to testing their technical knowledge/skills they were a real letdown.
So IME there are plenty of IT jobs around for people who have good skill sets.
--
Grunff

Believe it or not I completely agree with what you are saying!
The disturbing thought that occupied my mind during my time as a freelance consultant was that I was often working alongside someone who I knew was lying through their teeth about their previous achievements and track record. I could see it in their code. And I have heard several such freelancers telling those around them that they lie on their CVs in order to get a job.
But this is not entirely the fault of the individual. Recruitment consultants, paid on percentage, are well known to present a candidate with embelished skills. I've had a couple of interviews in the past where the client comes out with "it says here that you are expert in XYZ....", and they register instant disappointment when I have said "no I'm not".
The building industry has gained a bit of a reputation for having cowboys within it. I fear the IT industry can be similarly inclined.

Absolutely. About 3 years ago I had a telephone interview and was set a tough technical test by the IT department. 20 questions. I believe I answered 16 off the top of my head, the other 4 I said I didn't know the answer to. I got the job - apparently they'd been interviewing for some 2 months and I scored higher than anyone else and was perceived as honest when it came to something that I didn't know. Many of the so-called "experts" they had interviewed and given this test to were scoring 4 or 5.

A major problem is that if you have the skills then it is a problem of getting noticed enough to get the assignment. If you are completely honest about your track record then most likely you won't get a look in, because the candidates who do lie about their true background will get to sit on the interview.
Whilst I am writing this I shouldn't leave out the employer. So many IT adverts these days want 5 years experience in each of Java, ASP, SQL Server, C++, Visual Basic, XML, HTML and a bunch of other things. You dare reveal that you might not be competent in any of these things and you won't get to the interview. And yet in reality there is no way anyone is going to be expert in all those areas together. In essence these employers are lining themselves up for the applications which are so far from the truth.
PoP
PoP wrote:

Don't talk to me about "recruitment consultants" - ughhh. I refuse to deal with them. I'm told there are quite good ones out there, but I just don't have the time to waste on sifting through the piles of crappy ones.

Very much so. I've known contractors on 100k equivalent with no discernable skills whatsoever.

That type of advert is usually written by a "recruitment consultant" who hasn't got the foggiest what any of these things actually mean. If they work for an agency, then the advert is best avoided. If they work for a personnel department of a big company, then one good approach is to contact said company and ask if it's possible to speak to the technical person associated with the vacancy. Ask them what their requirements really are.

I think that does happen, but only if your contact is purely with clueless non-techies. That's why it's worth putting a little effort into trying to get a phone conversation, however brief, with a technical contact. This won't always work of course, but it can prove very worthwhile.
--
Grunff

You're dead right there I think. Pity that 9 times out of 10 I get a badly spelt, incorrectly punctuated and technically inaccurate job description and when I ask to speak to the employer I'm told no.......
Maybe I'm the picky one?
cheers
Witchy wrote:

It's good to be picky - as long as your finances permit it.
--
Grunff

Hi Witchy In you wrote:

SWMBO frequently sends copies of the job description, with corrections, back to the advertiser, along with her application. Not sure it's got her anywhere, but she enjoys it!
--
Fishter
unhook to mail me | http://www.fishter.org.uk /

you were very close. but you did good!
:)
mk5000
"Thinking I'd found a bad time when the tree was broke, I've tried to upgrade by a snapshot. The main OpenBSD server is still serving files from October 11 at 15:42. This i about the same time I began having problems with my -current machine"--jeffrey ross

Both of you have very valid and salient points there, as I'm finding out in meatspace. I've been in IT since 1985 so I've seen all the cycles and changes as they happened; most of the time they didn't affect us other than to bring in more business, but once the bigger acquisitions started more and more people I know have been laid off. IR35 didn't help for my contractor friends....
My own downfall came when HP 'merged' (yeah, right) with Compaq. Almost overnight everyone we worked with at Compaq was laid off and once that happened Oracle dropped us like a hot thing. All of a sudden, cashflow crisis, ie there wasn't any coming in.
At present I've been offered the possibility half a dozen jobs over my 11 months on the rock'n'roll, all of which wanted me to actually move before even considering interviewing me, so I'd be expected to move to Lodnon or in the last case, Warrington, before I'd even get a foot in the door!
PoP, what handyman services do you offer? If I'm going to follow the sparky route and get trained up I'll need something to tide me over, unless someone reading this has 500sqft of space they can let me have to open my computer museum to the public :)
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs
On Wed, 15 Oct 2003 20:08:05 +0100, Witchy

I'll do most things - plumbing, sparkyism, carpentry, tiling, painting, decorating, flatpack furniture building, other things I can't remember, etc. One area on which I do focus is kitchen refurbishment, I've recently acquired the big router and worktop jig for dealing with the worktop joins (going out to another one later today).
However I am very clear with potential clients - I won't take on big jobs like full CH install or complete rewire - even though I've done both in the past without problem. It hurts me financially to limit myself this way but at least I sleep comfortably knowing I'm not trying to take on anything beyond my reasonable competence level.
When you say "...sparky route and get trained up", what do you mean? Perhaps my experience with this might help.....
I'm an electronics engineer by training and experience (8 years in the field with HP computer systems). So last year when I was thinking about my options I thought that I could jump into the sparky route fairly easily. I got my C&G2381 (16th edition wiring regs) earlier this year, and plan on going back for the C&G2391 (Installation and testing) in the new year when the college has a place available.
But those two certifications equate to sod-all in terms of becoming a sparky. I queried this with the lecturer at college and he said I would need 2-3 years apprenticeship to gain NVQ's in order to call myself a sparky. I told him I had HNC Electronics - his reply was that HNC blew the socks off NVQ's in terms of its educational status, but it was non-transferrable - I'd have to do all the schoolboy physics and stuff in the NVQ's all over again.
I have one possible option on the horizon with regard to sparkyism, that being NICEIC registration next April. If I get C&G2391 then there should be nothing stopping me becoming NICEIC registered, then I could carry out certification tests on electrical installations. Might be a revenue stream for me there.....
PoP

One of the things that stops me doing that for other people is liability.....I don't mind working on our own properties but other people's?
Got a question that I'll post in a new thread for that one......

On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 09:42:23 +0100, Witchy

I have 1M liability insurance in place. In fact to work on buy to let properties (a potentially lucrative market) you won't be taken on without the cover in place.
The insurance application form asks "how much experience do you have for this type of work?". In my case, over 30 years since before I left school.
It does not ask how many years you have worked in the industry. I am aware of others who have circumnavigated their career from IT to handyman-type professions.
PoP

Is it as expensive as the news item I saw makes it out to be? Mind, said item was on self-employed windowcleaners so maybe the cover is different...

Would I get away with 5? Before then I paid other people to do it, and only started meself when I couldn't get anyone else in less than a month.

Judging by the likes of people here the cause of the circumnavigation has been Compaq/HP :o)
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs
On Thu, 16 Oct 2003 18:13:31 +0100, Witchy

I paid 277 for one year. I understand 45 of that was an outrageous arrangement fee to the broker (we only found out afterwards when we requested an invoice for tax purposes). The cover is provided via Fortis:
http://www.fortisinsurance.co.uk /

It doesn't have a minimum, I guess you could try by stating zero!

No, no, no. You are reaching the wrong conclusions entirely. Only people that worked for a living for Compaq/HP can actually be counted. Those who propped up the desks don't count! ;)
PoP

On the insurance policy I'm about to take out the only thing they use the "number of years in the trade" question for (apparently) is to set the level of excess. Less than 2 years gets me something like a 250 excess... I think.

Hwyl!
M.
Don't fight technology, live with it: http://www.livtech.co.uk /

It would help if I finished the message before hitting send wouldn't it.

That's plastering off the list for me then!
<snip>
Bugger - that's what I planned doing after reading around.

I can't mentally reconcile becoming an apprentice at my age, but won't the NICEIC registration need proof of experience and all the relevant bits of paper? Dammit, I can't afford getting 2-3 years experience unless someone pays me. Typically the job centre are totally useless when it comes to questions like this.....
cheers
witchy/binarydinosaurs