Attn ARW

I never bluff.

Mr Pounder

You would need to force feed several twix down a cat to give it enough chocolate to poison it.

Get yourself a cat - they make brilliant pets. It will keep other cats away and shit in your neighbours garden:-)

Reply to
ARW

It doesn't say cats like choc, merely that it's poisonous. Well, we know that. Chocolate is toxic but humans have an enzyme that deals with it. Cats, dogs, parrots, etc don't.

Reply to
Tim Streater

The LD50 for theobromine appears to be 200mg per kg bodyweight for cats (versus 1000mg/kg for humans). Typical theobromine levels in milk chocolate are 1-5 g per kg.

Taking a 2.5kg cat this would equate to an LD50 of 500mg.

At a theobromine level 3g per kg theobromine level in milk chocolate this would equate to 166g of chocolate.

As cats do not have taste receptors for sweetness they are not attracted to sweet foods. Therefore I think it unlikely that you could get a cat to actually consume a toxic level of milk chocolate. Dark chocolate does contain much higher theobromine levels (10g/kg) and higher quality chocolate tends to have higher levels than the cheaper brands. I don't think it would stepping too far put on a limb to suggest that theobromine levels in Twix bars would be the least of the average moggy's worries.

Cheers

Mark

Reply to
Ferretygubbins

And is alcohol poisionous to cats in the same way as it is to humans?

Reply to
mogga

----------- Watch for symptoms. Symptoms of poisoning in cats include:

Breathing problems Confusion Coughing Depression

How can you tell if a cat's depressed, ffs?

Reply to
Grimly Curmudgeon

The pet psychiatrist tells you?

ARW