Attic problem

Hi again. 2nd newbie query of the day....

An attic question now! I want to floor a small attic space which has various pipes and valves sticking up way above floor level. I've been advised by a joiner I know to put 50 x 50 runners on the joists to clear the worst of the piping and put down chipboard, cutting holes for any valves which need clearance..

Picture 1:

2:
is an old (cold?) water tank with a white pipe running to it. The whole system has been replaced with a combi boiler and I think this is now redundant but the white pipe in picture 1 seems to run to it (se Picture 2) and I think has water in it as it gurgles when I shake it. I'd like to remove the tank (and the pipe if possible) but am really wary of touching it. Can I cap it off or something so I can remove the tank?

I'm also slightly concerned re the smaller metal pipe. This is lagged which suggests to me that it has water in it and may be to do with the central heating. it runs along the top of one of the joists. Is it going to be safe to 'tease' it off the joist onto the floor so I can screw runners onto it? I think there's leeway but i'm scared it might be a gas pipe!

Thanks in advance for any advice.

xiv

Reply to
louisxiv

Is this just to create a bit of storage space? Or are you intending to create a live-able space? If it's just for a bit of storage, this sounds like a good idea. I Try to spread the load of any heavy items though - the joists in the ceiling aren't usually specified for the same loads as other rooms. That is, don't put a huge pile of books over

1 joist.

Where abouts does the white pipe go to on the tank? Does it go to the top of the tank somewhere (i.e. it fills the tank, or an overflow) Or does it go to the bottom of the tank somewhere (i.e. it used to feed water to somewhere else in the house) It looks like a bit of 40mm waste pipe, and I can't really think of any reason it would be connected to a cold water tank. Either way, the sloshing noise you can hear is just a little that remains in the pipe. If you tip it up a bit it will probably flow elsewhere. Else if you cut it, you could collect the bit that runs out.

I'd say unlikely to be gas, but couldn't be sure. Can you see where it goes to/from? It appears to have a compression fitting at the base of picture2, and personally, I'd be wary of prizing it too far off the ground with any force without knowing what it was. Is there no obvious give in the pipework? If it moves easily, then don't worry about it.

HIH

Jon.

Reply to
Tournifreak

Cheers Jon. I think the only way i'll know about the metal pipe is to try it. If it feels like it's going to shift ok then I will move it. If not then i'll need to come up with a plan B.

xiv

Reply to
louisxiv