Attic insulation boards

I've been looking for Knauf Space Boards, but have been unable to locate a store selling them in Dublin.

I'm wondering if there are any recommendations for a similar insulated board for attic insulation?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

UK Knauf site gives:

Retail/DIY Insulation

Knauf Insulation produce the Space Insulation range of products specifically for DIY'ers to use in loft insulation, and is available from:

  • Argos * B&Q * Focus * Homebase * Wickes

The availability of specific Space Insulation products can be found at

Read more: Where to buy insulation | Space Insulation | Supafil Cavity Wall insulation

Michael Shergold

Thanks for that info. I tried my local B&Q, but they said they did not sell Knauf boards. Nor does my local Homebase. But I'll keep looking.

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

I haven't found anyone in Dublin selling Knauf space boards (attic insulation); I rang Knauf, who said that B&Q stock it, but B&Q Ireland say they are selling their own replacement, which is more or less useless for my needs, as it is about 8in thick and seems to consist of glass fibre in a wood-like casing.

None of the other stores mentioned sell the space boards either. So I'm wondering again if there is any substitute for the Knauf boards - an insulating board around 2in thick ?

Reply to
Timothy Murphy

Space Boards are marked 'Polyfoam XPS 220202'. You can buy Polyfoam from builders merchants and comes in three grades depending on its resistance to crushing. I think the Blue coloured variant is for going under the concrete slab of a cold-store (needs to support tons of fishy fingers and forklift trucks).

Space boards are very uniform in size unlike Celotex which seems to have an undulating surface - Mind you Quinn Therm PIR board seem to be much more evenly made if you need a flat surface.

Last year B&Q were selling subsidized single space boards for =A33.78, or you could buy a pack of four for =A319.98 at the same place - if you were a bit stupid though. This year I haven't noticed the same deal and the space boards (in packs of 4) are only stocked in the larger B&Q stores.

Have you considered using 'Celotex' cavity batts ?. These are 450 by

1200 by 50mm AFAIK, all BM's should have them. Wickes do.

Beware XPS is extruded polystyrene so it burns horribly, smokily and fatally, unlike ''celotex' which only chars.

PS a good way of clean cutting is to buy some T313AW soft cutter blades for Bosch or similar jigsaws. They cut clean up to 4 inches thick, none of that nasty dust from sawing PIR boards.

Reply to
ad

Thanks very much for oodles of useful information ...

Reply to
Timothy Murphy