Attempted Break In!!

Get a recording of a large dog on an endless tape. Put this in a tape player by the door and have the tape player triggered by an IR sensor. Every time someone approaches the door the "dog" barks. And you do not have to feed the bastard and clean up the shit.

Roger Dewhurst

Dog/ hinge bolts on the hinge side.

5 lever mortice low down and at higher level to prevent kicking in as well as shoulder charging. Consider rack bolts top and bottom.
Reply to
Invisible Man

I suspect that you are in deep shit if in possession of shotgun cartridges without a licence.

Roger Dewhurst

I work in TV and regularly 'film' on estates in London - sometimes quite rough ones. And can assure you steel doors are common. As are steel gates in front of them. They can cause real problems to firemen trying to break in - in the event of a fire.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Not for someone who doesn't know about such things surely? We cannot be perfect in everything we do - including you!

There are those that think a rimlock is the 'state of the art' security device - simply because the know no better, and I'm sure that you are lacking knowledge in some areas which would cause you to ask some apparently stupid question - and I wonder what your response would be when given answers like that?

Now can you actually answer the OP with some sensible advice?

There is no "grey area" - if the burglar can find an easier target he or she will - if he or she wants what's in that particular house, they will gain entry - regardless of the security on a that property.

Not all "pikey's" are burglars, the bastards that did us over weren't - they were in fact locals , and fairly near-neighbours to boot!

There's a useful answer there - somewhere - because not all (so-called) carpenters are aware of such things, or even qualified to do so! I've seen some barely able to fit a replacement yale lock - let alone a door with all the security devices.

Cash

Reply to
Cash

If an immediate neighbour's alarm was sounding, I'd look for obvious signs of a break in and if so call the police. Not that I'd expect much to happen.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

It is more about getting out than getting in. A door is a much faster exit if they are disturbed and carrying things out through a door is likely to attract less attention.

Colin Bignell

Reply to
Nightjar

Second the hinge bolt suggestion , and three hinges, with all the screws in them thanks.

Lower mortice is good as well, its the kick zone.

Frame is what gave up time Fire Brigade had to make entry to flat, next doors panel door split in the middle, Firemans description was `we had to give it a little push`

Get the repair inset in the frame and screwed right though into wall behind.

Lights and sound , signs of occupancy even when there is none, timeswitches and radios left on.

Cheers Adam

Reply to
Adam Aglionby

But the reduced premium(*) probably doesn't cover the cost of the maintenance contract. Also the Police will only attend in any hurry a properly maintained and monitored system. A sounder and flashing light might be attended when they have a minute They might be a bit more respnosive if intruders can be seen by the person reporting the alarm.

(*) Which probably has all manner of get outs for the ins.co. like the place has to be secure and alarm set when ever empty. Including nipping round next door for a cup of sugar...

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

As can be seen from the DLR as one rattles through the East End. The vast majority of the flats in some blocks have gates in front of the doors. They can't *all* be crack dens...

Reply to
Huge

Agreed, seems to be a common occurrence in scouseland.

Dogs are a pack animal and they need to be continually told(*) by

*all* members of the family (aka the pack) where their position in the pack is, ie the bottom. Small children don't have the ability to dominate the dog so it thinks it has a higher position in the pack.

(*) "Told" as in disciplined by any member of the family when ever it puts a paw out of line. Some breeds need far stronger discipline than others and some breed will constantly be trying to move up the pack ladder.

Reply to
Dave Liquorice

Have some sort of system that automatically telephones or texts you rather than just a sounder? Shouldn't be technically hard to implement these days.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

Steel doors and frames seem to be standard for doors in Germany, both internal and external. I have wondered how long before harmonisation of building regs across the EU would bring that over here.

Neil

Reply to
Neil Williams

That is increasingly common - modern cars are so well alarmed and immobilised the only easy way to nick them is to nick the keys first.

All those nice new possessions paid for by the insurance, but not got round to changing the locks yet...

Owain

Reply to
Owain

In article , Nightjar > Wonder why they bothered with the door. A window is much easier.

They usually go in through a window and leave by the door. Which is one reason why a night latch isn't such a good idea.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

Bit of a wild assumption there.

Reply to
Steve Firth

Indeed. Wonder what happened to the good ol' east end principle of being able to leave your door unlocked? Or was that just a myth? And of course we have tower blocks etc where the front doors are in a lobby and totally concealed from outside. You can really take your time there, breaking in...

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

You can buy such units cheaply. Called SDIs. (Subscriber dialling interface?) I've had one for years.

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)

And bars on the windows? Or the much more expensive 'lift gate' alternative?

Reply to
Dave Plowman (News)