ATCO Mower

I have a ubiquitous 1950s ATCO mower (14" cut, 4 stroke engine). Brilliant piece of kit. (If you like putting greens for lawns that is). Now I'm not getting a spark. I've removed the recoil start and the cowl, behing that is what appears to be a flywheel. There is a flap in the flywheel to access the points. My question is how do I get the flywheel off so I can get better access to the points and the magneto.

It's exactly the same engine as on a suffolk punch so hopefully someone out there has one and done this at some point.

I'll try and post a piccy if no one knows without looking at it.

Thanks for any help anyone. . . .

Tim.

Reply to
tzd3sw

Hi,

I bet there's a Yahoo group or a forum somewhere for old petrol mowers.

cheers, Pete

Reply to
Pete C

It's been donkey years but hear goes AFAICR, the flywheel is on a taper, it needs to be shocked off, mind you don't either split the flywheel or bend / snap the crankshaft !...

Reply to
:::Jerry::::

In message , ":::Jerry::::" writes

Taper and key way.

I used to use a large 3 legged bearing puller but if the points are get at able don't bother.

Use the access hole to clean the points with a bit of wet and dry or emery cloth. Borrow the wife's hair drier and give the coil 20 minutes worth of warm air.

Connect the plug and rest it on the cylinder head. With no compression you should be able to *flick* the flywheel, by hand, through the induction point and see a spark.

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

Perfect. Thanks gentlmen. One running ATCO.

Reply to
tzd3sw