Asthma

Believe me, I know all about this...

Dad has been diagnosed with parkinsons recently - after a misdiagnosis by his useless GP as lung cancer. Odd I thought, no similar symptoms...but we went with it as he was the expert. See the cancer expert (late, as referal got lost...) who said basically "why are you here? Looks like parkinsons to me - certainly nothing lung cancerlike in your symptoms".

Finally after grief I paid the 400 quid for a private consultant. Excellent, sorted out a DAT scan and put it all through the NHS and then told the GP to refer us to him via NHS. GP lost the letter etc etc. Finally get it all done and yep, scan shows it's parkinsons.

Of course, this has dragged on so many months that dad has turned 60 while it was being diagnosed so now his critical illness cover is saying "well, we do cover parkinsons but only if diagnosed under 60"... grrrr....more fights to come I feel!

Anyway, spending the money and "going private" was a great decision (albeit one we shouldn't have had to do. However, the NHS support at Kings in london has been *excellent* and on par with the private stuff (just with crap coffee :-)). Seems so variable depending on where you come into the system :-(

Darren

Ob-diy: I borrowed his circular saw while I dropped him off from the last hospital visit so I can refit the doors in the dining room :-)

Reply to
dmc

And I've walked through rape in bloom and have been incapacitated by my allergy.

Your point was?

Reply to
Steve Firth

Yeah, but it's hopeless.

Full of people discussing combi boilers, speedfit and SDS drills :-(

Darren

Reply to
dmc

I had the worst side effects with Lipitor. Your mileage may vary.

Lipitor is the world's most widely prescribed drug (of any kind) and is also the most profitable drug that has ever been produced.

Reply to
Bruce

Does your newsreader have such a thing called a "kill file", where the title of this thread could be inserted?

If not, please insert it somewhere else. ;-)

Reply to
Bruce

The *thread* did contain some d-i-y! Kill files are normally used for particularly obnoxious persons rather than whole threads. Posting way off topic to a ng is bad manners, especially when (as in this case) there is bound to be an appropriate ng elsewhere. Please don't!

Thanks,

Reply to
Bob Mannix

It isn't just the scent, it is the chemicals that are released along with the aroma. I know that there is a body of medical opinion that says rapeseed should not trigger asthma because of the type of pollen it generates. However, there appears to be a strong correlation between increased planting of rapeseed and increased reports of hay fever and asthma symptoms.

Those who say it has no effect on them are lucky. There are several pollens that affect other people badly, but don't affect me, but I don't see any reason to crow about it or diss the people who find those pollens do affect them.

Rapeseed is a relatively new crop, especially in the huge quantities it is now grown in. It will take some time to research the mechanisms through which rapeseed is related to respiratory problems. Until then, the naysayers should keep their traps firmly shut.

Reply to
Bruce

Is rapeseed pollen significantly different to, for example, mustard (which has a very long history - and recognised allergy problems)?

(I guess most brassicas don't flower in anything like the density of these two examples.)

Reply to
Rod

wheezing and out of breath IS asthma.

The concrtete itself is almost certainly ot the problem, though a dash of PVA will soon eliminate it and any dust it carries..

No.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Can't resist mentioning the famous Barcelona asthma outbreaks that were periodically stretching the local health service to breaking point. A fascinating detective story where masses of seemingly irrelevant computer data eventually revealed the culprit

Reply to
stuart noble

Had forgotten all about that. In case anyone is interested, this is a summary (about 4 pages):

Reply to
Rod

There was a very good documentary on the box a couple of years back about it. The fascinating thing to me was that they started from scratch, without the faintest idea of what was causing the outbreaks. They were looking for a needle, but weren't sure where the haystack was. In the end they were studying all manner of data for any event, however irrelevant it seemed, that coincided with the dates of the outbreaks. IIRC it was the unloading of a particular American vessel that gave them their first clue rather than any scientific progress.

Reply to
stuart noble

Fascinating.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

I don't know, Rod. One of the doctors at my GP practice is actively researching the link between rapeseed and respiratory problems.

The practice has been overwhelmed with people reporting asthma and hay fever symptoms (86% up on last year, and over treble the average of the last five years). That has happened at the same time as two local farmers have turned substantial parts of their land over to growing oilseed rape.

Anecdotal evidence from patients suggests their individual problems are linked in some way with the rapeseed, so some research is needed.

Reply to
Bruce

Going off-topic isn't a crime. You'll find that any thread will burn itself out before long, especially the off-topic parts.

But as with top-posting, bad spelling and poor grammar, there is no shortage of Usenet jobsworths who will gripe and moan on and on, wasting far more bandwidth than those who have committed such an insignificant "misdemeanour" in the first place.

"Please don't!" Or, if you prefer, "Lighten up!"

;-)

Reply to
Bruce

He gave me a Solbutamol inhaler and said i should seethe asthma nurse. Thanks for all your help everyone.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

In message , Bruce writes

Not been in uk.d-i-y long, have you ...

Reply to
geoff

Really? I have been here a while you know. This thread has a particular topic (health) that is surely well covered elsewhere on usenet. Some off thread variations are not so and some rambling is to be expected. This is not rambling, it's a proper, focussed discussion, in the wong place and, possibly one that should be had (just not here).

As you would know, if you had looked at my postings, I am not one of these. There is also no shortage of people on usenet who will, at the drop of a hat, divert a thread to their own problems. They are, with all respect to their problems, the sort of people you avoid at parties. Yes the jobsworths waste bandwidth but not as much as whole threads in the wrong place!

We'd like to - it's all the talk about illness gets us down when we want to talk DIY! Some may even come here to avoid thinking about their illness/drugs or whatever!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

Then kill the thread. Simple as that.

The alternative is to harp on and on (and on) about it, which is something I'm sure a man of your maturity would not wish to do.

Reply to
Bruce

Is there somewhere else you can take this off topic discussion so we can get on with the diy allergy advice? ;-)

Reply to
dennis