Asthma

Same here astham, but no rape at all. Just wheat. Its grass pollen plus some rather windy weather, plus some unusually early fungal stuff.

I wouldn't mind betting it will be a bad year for ergot as well.

Everyone blames rape, but rape is pretty much done with, and the worst effects seem to be right now.

Full grass season. And elder and cow parsley all of which make me sneeze.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

And this is a DIY group so fair enough!

Reply to
Bob Mannix

This year I noticed that the BBC weather forecasters actually identified the pollens - e.g. Birch, Oak, whatever - I don't remember this being done before. (As likely my memory/attention as reality.) But the Birch pollen season, some time ago now, distinctly affected partner.

Elder is fading now - in Bucks - the berries are setting.

Reply to
Rod

Fascinating response. Given my obsession, you will not be surprised if I identify fibro as one of those things sometimes helped by thyroid hormone. Partner had serious gum (and hence tooth) problems due to thyroid. IBS - sometimes related to thyroid. Muscle pains and spasms - sometimes caused by thyroid.

And you must not miss out that various of these and other problems might be caused directly by low stomach acidity - also sometimes caused by thyroid.

I'll shut up now and retire to PubMed... :-)

(Anyone who wants can follow the URLs in my sig.)

Reply to
Rod

According to my paramedic daughter, asthma attacks can be very serious indeed, I agree with Rod, get to the GP ASAP.

You can use a concrete hardener/dustproofer like Everbuild 403 Concrete Hardener & Dustproofer. This reacts with the lime content in the surface of the concrete and turns it into an almost marble smooth hard surface.

Reply to
The Medway Handyman

There have been some good suggestions, but by far the best is to press for an earlier appointment.

I have suffered a little with asthma ove the years. I suppose for the level I had it struggled is a bit strong.

Personally I doubt dust from a concrete floor would trigger asthma, IMHO it is more likely to be something else, particularly if the previous residents had pets, and there are still some carpets.

How far did you move? As has been said, we are now well into hay fever season, and if yyou have moved from an urban environment to rural, there is likely to be a lot of other stuff around that could trigger both you and your daughter.

I was at the docs last week, and he mentioned that some air fresheners have been known to trigger hay fever symptoms. If you have any around, it may be worth putting them out of the way.

P.

Reply to
Paul Matthews

Yup, a friend of friend died from an asm

Reply to
chris French

Mm. My mother had an underactive thyroid..no its not that. No cold no general slowdown. And sufficiently variable to make me sure its a triggered state.

Thalamus or hypothalamus mate.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

If I were you, I would get a thyroid antibody test. (Available privately as well as NHS in case Andy is reading. :-) ) It does seem often to be passed from females down the generations. Variability is common at certain stages - e.g. as the thyroid is being attacked, every so often a rush of hormone gets released. And the TSH test is a very bad joke.

"Thyroid deficiency is the great pretender"

But what do I know? (Answers easily fit on a postcard.)

Reply to
Rod

Heh, I actually laughed out loud at that - wife now thinks I'm mad (more so than normal)

Darren

Reply to
dmc

many thanks for that, and although SOME of that applies, not ALL of it applies. In particular I don't normally feel cold etc. Nor is my temperature abnormally low.

Its very easy to get carried away..for instance a general allergic reaction can cause IBS, asthma, sleeplessness and hence fatigue, and muscle spasms which can cause trapped nerves giving transferred pain and or numbness.

The whole hormonal system si a huge feedback mechanism: so my feeking is that buggering it around at one level may not actually fix it - just move symptoms elsewhere.

However a thyroid test is a simple one to do, so I might as well.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

You are right - and the commonly repeated "just take a pill every day" can be so far out it is frightening. I feel that the thermogenic aspects of thyroid can be much overstated. Having seen someone very close to me almost die of thyroid, I *can't* sit back and ignore when I see something that *could* be thyroid - especially if a nudge could help.

Apologies now and always for when I overdo it.

Reply to
Rod

Thanks all. I am going in the morning at 09.10 after I sat there this pm for an hour caughing all over the place.

Reply to
Samantha Booth

Carpet mite dung (very hard to get rid of) is a strong allergen, and could still be present.

Just a move to a different area is enough to trigger a reaction. Different allergens. Some you get used to, and others can take a while to be a problem.

A lot of that type of thing cause me problems.

The tree pollen season is now over (Birch is one of the worst, and can cause sensitivity to other pollens), and the grass pollen is now imminent but so far hasn't affected me, probably due to the amount of rain, which may dampen the currently released pollen, but can increase future pollution.

A few years ago there was a rash of severe asthma cases somewhere (Berkshire??) following severe thunderstorms. This was put down to the sudden rain (after a dry spell) shattering the dried out (large) pollen grains into pieces small enough to bypass the nasal filters and enter the lungs, causing problems to people who didn't normally suffer much.

Reply to
<me9

And washing/decorating all surfaces. Cat saliva *will* be coating

*everything*.
Reply to
<me9

In message , Bruce writes

Rubbish.

Rape is insect pollinated and the pollen too heavy to blow far. Grass has headed up earlier than usual this year which may be a factor. Flowering rape has a sickly smell which may annoy you:-)

regards

Reply to
Tim Lamb

No, not at all. My mother only had it diagnosed when she broke her hip, and was in hospital complaining of being cold.

When I asked the doctor 'why is she compliaing of being cold' she said 'because she IS cold! about a degree below normal!'

Mind you, she didn't last all that long after hat anyway, but it wasn';t her thyroid that did her in.

I considered it, but rejected it as the most LIKELY cause, although its certainly POSSIBLE.

The most definite thing that swung me towards the hypothalamus, was the effect some really rather poor cannabis had. Not sure what it was or whence it came, but I slept like a log, and felt 30 years younger for the next three days..All aches went, all asthma went, all muscle spasms loosened up..

Now there is no connection between the things THC or the other cannabinoids do, and the thyroid, but there is a huge link to the serotonin/dopamine chemistry part of things.

Still puzzling it out though.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

We've had a bad year for hay fever this year. Elder son has had a very bad time; Clarityn seems to to work as well as Piriton - which is a shame when you're trying to stay awake to take exams!

My triggers are few now...e.g. lime juice. But I used to have real problems with the smoke from solder flux - luckily managed to sort that out before starting my electronics degree!

Reply to
Bob Eager

Have a mosey over to alt.support.thyroid - and look for posts (particularly by Alan B. Mac Farlane snipped-for-privacy@sonic.net - many of which are extremely difficult to follow but sometimes lucid and interesting). Snippet from the other day:

"The California State Senate is about to vote on a resolution by Sen. Carole Migden (SJR 20) calling for an end to DEA medical marijuana raids in California."

Alan is on the official medicinal cannabis scheme/whatever. He claims it is very helpful.

I once found magic mushrooms made be feel wonderful for several days. :-)

Reply to
Rod

Exactly.

I'm sensitive to most (wind blown) pollens. Rape pollen is too heavy to blow to the other side of a road, I've never had a problem with it. It can smell awful, and it announces its presence with its colour, but is not usually an allergen. Tree pollen present at the same time is more likely to be a problem.

Most pollen causing allergy problems is from flowers that are inconspicuous. Brightly coloured flowers are to attract insects for pollination, and do not spray the countryside with their allergens.

Reply to
<me9