Assessing existing conductors

How does an electrician assess the size of existing conductors when he rocks up to a property to do a job?

Let's say he's adding a circuit and needs to decide whether the meter tails are 16mm^2 or 25mm^2 (or something else - imperial?). He could disconnect them and get out his callipers but that would mean popping the main fuse. Surely not for every job? Is there a trick to this?

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

You just can tell by looking and experience. It just the same as when my mechanic brother does some work on my van - he looks and thens says "pass me a 11mm socket".

Reply to
ARW

Alas, I'm not there yet. Had a look in B&Q and could only tell 16 and

25 apart by weight. Admittedly looking through the shrink wrap but still.

The situation I'm faced with is an economy 7 meter with two sets of meter tails feeding henley blocks, which branch off to 6 encosures/CUs with a variety of cabling. Some connected by more 'tails' (not sure you can call them tails really once they've branched) including some braided-fabric ones, other with 2-core flat sheathed cable. I'm trying to assess whether any of them are overloaded or unsafe.

Alex

Reply to
Alexander Lamaison

One of my colleagues once listened to a mainframe booting, then said "it's only using half of the memory"....!

Reply to
Bob Eager

I can tell by listening to the dialtone whether the service is via a DACS.

Reply to
Graham.

They *** TALK *** to you as they boot!

Have diagnosed several hard-looping programs from sound alone. (That is, that fact of, not which program.)

Reply to
polygonum

When I was working for a minicomputer manufacturer many years ago, I was standing in the computer room talking with the operators whilst waiting for a System Generation to finish on my dev system. System Generation was our equivalent of a kernel build, and took around an hour, during which it went through 8 well defined phases. I had a new graduate working with me, and he said we better check if the System Generation had finished, and I replied without looking that it was still running Phase 7. He asked how I knew, and the answer was that I knew the sounds the disk head movement made during each phase. (These were 14" platter washing-machine sized drives, with 80Mb disk packs in them.) He was well impressed, and it became a long standing joke.

Reply to
Andrew Gabriel

Old story but true. I can - or could - do the same booting PC unixes. Watching the disk light flicker.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Same here. But on PDP-11 UNIXes....!

The speakers on mainframes were incredibly useful. I could pretty well tell how our 2960 was running by listening to it.

Reply to
Bob Eager

I keep some labelled 8-inch lengths to compare with.

JGH

Reply to
jgharston

:-0